Subject: [dnsext] Progress on moving the mailing list

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 17:21:35 -0400

Dear colleagues,

Some time ago, we said we were going to move the WG mailing list from
[email-masked] to [email-masked].  This sort of fell off
the radar as it looked like the WG was running out of things to do & I
absurdly thought we might actually wind up or go back to sleep or
something.  But with the rechartering in motion, it seemed to me we
ought to make good on this.

We've started the process, so the list [email-masked] has been created.

At the moment, it has no members, and if you post to it your message
will be moderated (and then we'll reject it).

Over the coming period, we will subscribe all the existing
namedroppers members to the [email-masked] list.  You will receive a
message when this happens.  If you don't want to receive dnsext mail
messages, then please unsubscribe then, or unsubscribe from
namedroppers now.

We will ask the operators of the namedroppers list to put an alias
forwarding messaages to namedroppers instead to the dnsext list, and
not to accept new subscriptions to namedroppers.  You won't get
duplicate messages during the change over, and you won't lose mail to
the list.  There will probably be a short period when new messages to
the list are disallowed, and if you have filters that are using the
exiting namedroppers headers, you will need to update them.

I will post another announcement in the future with firm dates for the
cutover.  I will give people ample notice of the cutover date so that
they may update their filters.  In the meantime, the mail address will
be [email-masked] and the RFC 2369 headers will follow the pattern of
all the other lists hosted in the IETF mail infrastructure.

Best regards,

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]
Shinkuro, Inc.

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:48:21 -0700

Howdy,

Any strong reason it shouldn't be "[email-masked]"?  That list
name has a lot of history behind it, and having a consistent thread of
conversation connected to the name, if not its host, seems to me worth it.
An alias from [email-masked] to [email-masked] could be kept for
those wanting the WG Name pointer.

Full disclosure:  I was briefly the list monkey at SRI who kept
namedroppers@sri-nic
up, and I am likely being nostalgic.

Ted

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 19:56:37 -0400

The only reason is the IETF convention. I don't expect namedroppers to disappear: when dnsext is finally clubbed to death, we can revive the namedroppers list. But I'm willing to ask the secretariat for an exception if people feel strongly. 

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
<[email-masked]>

---

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 01:25:01 +0100

> conversation connected to the name, if not its host, seems to me worth it.

+1

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:41:55 -0400

I thinkit should stay namedroppers.

Thanks,
Donald

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The only reason is the IETF convention. I don't expect namedroppers to
> disappear: when dnsext is finally clubbed to death, we can revive the
> namedroppers list. But I'm willing to ask the secretariat for an exception
> if people feel strongly.
>
> --
> Andrew Sullivan
> <[email-masked]>
>

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 03:43:37 +0000

> From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 19:56:37 -0400
> 
> namedroppers list. But I'm willing to ask the secretariat for an
> exception if people feel strongly.

i feel strongly.  it's always been namedroppers.  before there was an ietf
in its current, there was a namedroppers mailing list.  if ietf doesn't want
to run the namedroppers mailing list (by that name) others should so offer.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 04:08:22 +0000

> all the other lists hosted in the IETF mail infrastructure.

	I applaud this clean up. namedroppers, as a name, is an 
	ancient historical artifact, in the same vein as the end2end
	(e2e) list.  With increasing specialization, the original
	charter of namedroppers (to dicuss naming schemes) has been
	overcome by events in that pretty much all we talk about 
	is tweeks (the EXT) to the DNS protocol.  Its high time that
	we retired the old name and used a name that properly reflects
	the work that is being/planned for the DNS protocol ... perhaps

	[email-masked]  - general DNS discussion
	[email-masked]       - extentions to the DNS

	if there was a reason to retain "namedroppers" - it might properly
	be in the IRTF, where discussions on non-DNS naming architectures
	might properly take place.

	Or we could follow the e2e path, leaving the list intact, but moving
	all new discussion to the other list(s), like

		dnsop@
		oarc@
		dnssec-deployment@
		etc...

--bill (my 0.02 Pf)