Subject: [dnsext] dnssec-bis-updates and the CD bit

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:32:18 -0400

Dear colleagues,

As is depressingly often the case, I have been reminded today that I
am remiss in my duties.  Last summer we had a discussion about the CD
bit and dnssec-bis-updates.  There's a thread about it starting at
http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2010/msg01876.html.
There's another line of discussion on this topic starting at
http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2010/msg01894.html.

Our minutes from Maastricht say this:

          Existing item: draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-bis-updates
          - small number of hums for the "roll over and die" text is not okay and
          no hums for the text is okay
          - observation: few seem to have read the draft
          - demonstration of the "roll over and die" behaviour was given
          - CD-bit handling: nobody objected to having a default - unlike the two
          people on the mailing list
          - CD-bit handling: propose "Always set" as the default - nobody objected
          to this proposal
          - CD-bit handling: this proposal will be taken to the list
          - CD-bit handling: the intent is to last call this document in short order

I obviously failed to bring this back to the list, as I can find no
posting from me either in the archives or in my sent mail about this
topic.  For that, I apologise.  I would like therefore to confirm that
this issue is closed, that the document will outline the three
strategies (see the first of the mails I refer to above if you don't
remember what the three strategies are), and that it will say that the
default MUST be "always set".

If there are objections to this plan of action, please raise them soon
-- ideally before the Beijing meeting, because we hope to sew up this
document in Beijing and do the LC.  For real this time.

Again, my deepest regrets for this oversight on my part.

Best regards,

Andrew

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]
Shinkuro, Inc.