Subject: Re: Binary Labels

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 22:04:40 -0700 (PDT)

> The binary-labels draft is finally in place as announced.
> 
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-binary-labels-03.txt
> 
> Please start the WG last call.  Thanks.

thanks matt.  this is the start of an unofficial wg last call on
draft-ietf-dnsind-binary-labels-03.txt

randy

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 17:04:34 -0400

It looks good to me.  About the only doubt I have is that people may
try to use it just because it is there...  For example, in one of the
BoF at the Chicago IETF, someone was suggesting using Binary Labels to
represent ordinary telephone numbers even though telephone numbers are
decimal numbers and the hierarchy break points in them are on decimal
digit boundaries...(actually, I guess there are a few cases with sort
of hex digits, but even there, the hierarchy break points are at the
digit level, not the bit level) But I don't think there is any way we
can fix this other than looking at proposals as they come along and
recommending the mechanisms in them be changed to more appropriate
ones if they start with an inappropirate one.

Thanks,
Donald

From:  Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Message-Id:  <[email-masked]>
Date:  Thu, 10 Sep 1998 22:04:40 -0700 (PDT)
To:  "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Cc:  namedroppers <[email-masked]>
References:  <[email-masked]>
Sender:  [email-masked]