Subject: BIND 8.2 T5B

From: Paul A Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:25:24 -0800

this is not a release candidate -- the new ndc command is still too hard
to use.  but we wanted to get the code into public testing while we finish
up the tuning and tweaking of ndc's user interface.  there are also some
porting changes needed; if you have sent some in and don't see them, please
feel free to catch up your diffs and send them to me.  likewise any bugs.
we will not be adding any more features before 8.2.1, which begins in feb99.

the distribution files are:

ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/testing/bind-src.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/testing/bind-doc.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/testing/bind-contrib.tar.gz

the md5 checksums are:

7e69259c407c1df9b8c142b2d105369a bind-contrib.tar.gz
5994638f3572ca989d656931150bc029 bind-doc.tar.gz
f46ec530297cac668c732a1f5dbe7443 bind-src.tar.gz

top of CHANGES says:

	--- 8.2-T5B released ---

 515.	[security]	lib/dnssafe code removed; now a separate patch.

 514.	[port]		freebsd patches.

 513.	[bug]		memory leak in res_mkupdate().

 512.	[bug]		$GENERATE could use an unset ttl.

 511.	[bug]		$TTL warning test was wrong.

 510.	[port]		bugs and things found by the netbsd folks.

 509.	[bug]		The labels field in the SIG record may be less than
			the number of labels in the domain name if the
			owner of the SIG is a wildcard.

 508.	[bug]		rrset ordering contained an off-by-one error

 507.	[bug]		NXT set processing was not distinguishing
			between the upper and lower sets at delegation
			points.

 506.	[contrib]	more script-kiddie toys, this time contrib/adm.

 505.	[bug]		the ixfr changes to named-xfer destabilized stubs.

 504.	[port]		some IRIX problems fixed.

 503.	[bug]		ixfr wasn't correctly setting up its qsp.

        --- 8.2-T4A released ---

 502.   [bug]           some config file parsing was still using malloc().

 501.   [feature]       named sets the AD bit in the header when returning
                        authenticated data

 500.   [bug]           dst_verify_data returns the documented error codes

 499.   [bug]           verify_set now verifies the correct data

 498.   [bug]           ixfr was not completely finished.

 497.   [bug]           don't put zone 0 on the free list.

 496.   [bug]           Losing all but last RR of RRset.

 495.   [port]          random portability noise.

 494.   [bug]           sysquery() should not let nlookup() change its data.

 493.   [feature]       add "options ... rrset_order ... cyclic|random|etc".
                        this allows round robin to be turned off selectively,
                        or replaced with pseudorandom ordering, or whatever.

 492.   [bug]           src/bin/named/db_sec.c was memputting objects twice.

 491.   [feature]       add IRP (Information Retrieval Protocol) and daemon.
                        this is functionally similar to solaris "nscd".

 490.   [bug]           lib/isc/ctl_srvr.c couldn't overlap read and write.
                        (also: add session context set/get.)

 489.   [bug]           "cname and other data" was more complex than thought.

 488.   [port]          some netbsd portability stuff.  (still not working?)

 487.   [port]          digital unix 3.2 wasn't working (4.0d was though).

 486.   [feature]       add "sortlist", which may yet be merged/renamed into
                        the "topology" verb.

 485.   [bug]           do not complain about default TTLs unless a master.

 484.   [contrib]       add contrib/z0ne, a useful tool for crackers.

 483.   [contrib]       add contrib/query-loc[-*] to look up LOC RR's.

 482.   [bug]           all RR's must now be of the same class as the zone.

 481.   [bug]           outbound zone transfers are killed on any UPDATE.

        --- 8.2-T3A released ---

 480.	[bug]		ns_update was corrupting TXT records
 
 479.	[bug]		res_mkupdate was not handling WKS, HINFO, TXT,
			X25, ISDN, NSAP and LOC records.

 478.	[bug]		name_pack could leave a bad compression pointer.

 477.	[port]		improved support for FreeBSD 3.0.

 476.	[bug]		BSDI contributed some fixes to the /etc/group parsing.

 475.	[bug]		another memory leak in hesiod_resolve().

 474.	[bug]		SRV RR names were being compressed on output.

 473.	[feature]	IXFR is no longer optional and has been cleaned up.

 472.	[bug]		IXFR was disabling USE_PID_FILE.

 471.	[feature]	add support for CERT records.

 470.	[bug]		rrset_db_upgrade was updating the wrong cache.

 469.	[performance]	use a free list for unused zones.

 468.	[feature]	add getaddrinfo, courtesy of WIDE.

 467.	[lint]		include/dst/dst.h moved to include/isc/dst.h.

 466.	[bug]		fix core dump introduced with tsig glue.

	--- 8.2-T2A released ---

 465.	[bug]		ref counting bug in ns_xfr.

 464.	[bug]		correct cut&pasteo in IXFR config syntax.

 463.	[lint]		clean psf files after top level "make tar".

	--- 8.2-T1A released ---

 462.	[feature]	we now use randomized query id's.

 461.	[feature]	new option "version" added.

 460.	[feature]	add initial IXFR support from Check Point Technologies.

 459.	[bug]		res_update() was putting debugging info on stderr.

 458.	[doc]		add named.conf(5), improve doc/html.

 457.	[feature]	named-bootconf is now written in /bin/sh and it is
			now installed in ${DESTSBIN}.

 456.	[bug]		res->defdname[] wasn't always properly \0 terminated.

 455.	[bug]		_PATH_MEMSTATS was never being used.

 454.	[doc]		the html docs weren't clear about logging having to
			be specified first in the named.conf file.

 453.	[feature]	add zone type "forward" for selective forwarding
			(sometimes called "split horizon" or "fake root").

 452.	[bug]		lib/irs/* was generally not coping with
			oversized lines and files not ending in \n.

 451.	[port]		BSD/OS 2.* is now a separate port.

 450.	[Feature]	added DNS key generator in bin/dnskeygen.

 449.	[contrib]	added DNS zone signer in contrib/dns_signer.

 448.	[doc]		sample named.conf and html documentation include
			examples of DNSSEC / TSIG configurations.

 447.	[feature]	named verifies TSIG records on incoming messages, and
			generates TSIG records on outgoing messages.

 446.	[feature]	res_nsendsigned, res_nfindprimary, res_nsendupdate
			provide TSIG aware resolver functions.

 445.	[feature]	ns_sign and ns_verify generate/authenticate TSIG
			signatures on DNS messages.  ns_sign_tcp,
			ns_sign_tcp_init, ns_verify_tcp, and
			ns_verify_tcp_init are used for tcp transfers.

 444.	[feature]	acls can now include shared key names.

 443.	[feature]	added DNSSEC verification of zone data on load and
			partial verification of signed data received over
			the wire.

 442.	[feature]	lib/dst (TIS digital signature toolkit), lib/dnssafe,
			and lib/cylink added to provide functionality
			needed for DNSSEC and transaction signatures.
			
 441.	[bug]		fixed memory leak in hesoid support.

 440.	[bug]		support for res in lib irs was a mess.  _res now
			controls the behaviour of get*by*() again.

 439.	[bug]		fix *END_RESULT macros in port/solaris/port_before.h.

 438.	[feature]	permit the install user and group to be overridden.

 437.	[feature]	TCP truncation now reports IP address of the server.

 436.	[bug]		memory leaks in nsupdate.

 435.	[doc]		updated resolver.3

 434.	[bug]		named.run was not always being created when ndc trace
			was run.

 433.	[bug]		req_notify required the slave zone to have been loaded.
			this may not be the case when a zone has expired or
			is being established over a dial on demand link.

 432.	[feature]	blackhole queries from these nets. do not use these
			nets to resolve queries.

 431.	[feature]	loop breaking with UDP based well known services.

 430.	[bug]		memory leaks in dispatch_message.

 429.	[feature]	fast retries on host/net unreachable.

 428.	[bug]		CNAME and other data is now a hard error.

 427.	[feature]	support very large numbers of virtual interfaces.

 426.	[bug]		bring named closer into line with the data ranking
			in RFC 2181, Section 5.4.1.

 425.	[bug]		removed spurious debug statment that generated a lot
			false bug reports.

 424.	[bug]		closed file descriptor leaks in ns_update.

 423.	[feature]	loc_ntoa() can now accept NULL like other _ntoa's.

 422.	[feature]	you can now specify a port on the master statement
			to allow transfers from a non standard port.

 421.	[feature]	warn when the root hints do not match reality.

 420.	[misc]		added support for bcc (bounds checking compiler).

 419.	[feature]	bring negative caching into RFC 2308 compliance.

 418.	[bug]		expire now behaviour now as per RFC 1034/1035.

 417.	[bug]		updates and zone transfers weren't locking eachother.

 416.	[port]		support added for HPUX B.11.*

 415.	[feature]	ndc is a C program now, uses new "controls" subsystem.

 414.	[feature]	"controls" element of named.conf now live and working.

 413.	[feature]	octal and hexadecimal numbers now parsed in named.conf.

 412.	[bug]		we now support 2**24-1 (16M) zones. (need namespaces!)

 411.	[bug]		fix *END_RESULT macros in port/bsdos/port_before.h

 410.	[feature]	added support for dial on demand links between
			servers. 

 409.	[port]		remove aggregious use of snprintf().

 408.	[feature]	add -b option to dig to set srcaddr of tcp connects.

 407.	[feature]	added $GENERATE to generate sets of RR's that only
			differ by an interator.

 406.	[doc]		added manpage for inet_cidr_ntop() inet_cidr_pton().

 405.	[bug]		res_nsend() closed sockets unnecessarily on timeout. 
			handle change NS list and RES_STAYOPEN generically.

 404.	[bug]		inet_addr/inet_aton/inet_network accepted illegal
			inputs as legal. Also enforce octal input.

 403.	[bug]		inet_cidr_ntop() was not producing correct output for
			all possible inputs.

 402.	[bug]		fix retry/retransmit logic in face of network errors.

 401.	[doc]		the "transfer-source" zone option wasn't documented.

 400.	[bug]		bin/host was dumping core - converted to use getopt.

 399.	[port]		use time() rather than gettimeofday() in dig.

 398.	[bug]		named could exit silently on assertion failures,
			now assertion failures are logged using INSIST.

 397.	[port]		add an AIX 3.2 port (requires GNU utilities).

 396.	[bug]		dig and nslookup allowed sscanf/sprintf overflows.

 395.	[bug]		dig and nslookup were unable to deal with 64KB answers.

 394.	[feature]	add RES_NOCHECKNAME and "options no-check-names" (in
			resolv.conf) to turn off modern host/mail name checks.

 393.	[bug]		lib/isc/tree.c was missing a critical \ (#if DEBUG).

 392.	[bug]		inet_aton() wasn't requiring nonterminal octets to
			be in the range of octets, i.e., 1.300.1.1.

 391.	[bug]		fix bug in MAX_XFERS_RUNNING logic.

 390.	[bug]		ns_update() was capable of renaming an open file.

 389.	[feature]	libbind.a now has a "ctl" subsystem, which is planned
			to replace signals as a the communication path between
			"ndc" and "named".  preliminary support is in "named".

 388.	[feature]	preliminary/nonfunctional/nonstandard ZXFR support.

 387.	[feature]	inet_cidr_pton() and inet_cidr_ntop() added.

 386.	[bug]		inet_net_pton() was not parsing hex correctly.

 385.	[feature]	three new options for the RES_OPTIONS environment var
			or for the "options" directive in /etc/resolv.conf:
				attempts:NN	default res.retry
				timeout:NN	default res.retrans
				rotate		use ALL listed nameservers

 384.	[feature]	there is now a nearly-thread-safe resolver API, with
			the old non-thread-safe API being a set of stubs on
			top of this.  it is possible to program without _res.
			note: the documentation has not been updated.  also
			note: IRS is a thread-ready API, get*by*() is not.
			(see ../contrib/manyhosts for an example application.)

 383.	[contrib]	bsdi contributed an /etc/services.db hack, which is
			currently conditionalized for bsd/os but would work
			on any modern BSD-derived system (DB, snprintf, etc).

 382.	[port]		bsd/os 4.0 defines its own pselect(), which differs
			from the one we simulated.  we now simulate the right
			one, and use the right one.

 381.	[contrib]	added contrib/srv, the beginnings of SRV client side.

	--- 8.1.2 released ---
...