Subject: New RR for DNS - GLOC

From: "Al Costanzo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:14:56 -0500

Hello Everyone,

I was shown an example of a trace program that used an internal database of
host locations.  When you did a trace route or a ping, it would show your
location and the destination on a world map and plot all the hops along the
way.

After doing some research, I found an experimental RFC that defines GPOS but
I do not think many will ever use it since you need to know the longitude
and
latitude and the elevation of the system you will define to use it.

Most people know their zip code, and the town and state (country) in which
they live or machine resides, not many know the log. and latitude.  This
causes me to believe GPOS is doomed and will never be widely used.

My concept is simple, put in what you know and then build software that has
a database that makes use of the information and can do the plotting!

I would like to start working on an ID in July that defines GLOC (Geographic
Location).

Let me know what you think...

Regards to all!

-Al

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
... No matter where you go, there you are!

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:50:43 -0700 (PDT)

> See also:
>    http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/gazetteer
> It will give the approximate coordinates of a given zip code.

the title is "Search for a Place in the US."  as over half the hosts in the
internet are outside the us, this is pretty silly.

randy

---

From: David Langhorst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 19:44:50 -0400 (EDT)

See also:

It will give the approximate coordinates of a given zip code. The data
files are free to download as well, so writing a tool to create LOC records
from zip codes would be trivial. As matter of fact, several years ago i did
just that for all of our backbone equipment. 

-- 
david langhorst <[email-masked]>  (734)214-5939

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, John Gilmore wrote:

> There's already a LOC record that works fine.  "dig toad.com loc".
> 
> The visual tracing tool is visible through: 
> 
> 	http://www.ckdhr.com/dns-loc/
> 
> though it didn't work for me when I tried it today.
> 
> Anyone with a GPS knows their latitute, longitude, and altitude; no
> other coordinate system is needed, except for Internet sites that are
> not moving with the Earth.  Hmm, I want to see LOC records for
> geosynchronous satellites...
> 
> 	John
>

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 18:45:30 -0700 (PDT)

For international locations..

http://shiva.pub.getty.edu/tgn_browser/

-- 
--bill

---

From: John Gilmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 15:25:50 -0700

John