Subject: RE: (Almost final) Agenda for dnsind/dnssec in Oslo

From: Stuart Kwan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 19:50:18 -0700

Unfortunately, Levon Esibov and I will not be attending in Oslo.

I have no suitable proxy to lead a discussion on UTF-8 DNS
(ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-skwan-utf8-dns-02.txt) or on the
GSS algorithm for TSIG
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-skwan-gss-tsig-04.txt), so you
may remove those from the schedule.  Both Levon and I would be happy to hear
comments on the mailing list.

No surprise, I'd like to see rfc2052bis
(ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-rfc2052bis-02.txt)
take another shot at PS.  I thought the WG had a good rebuttal for all the
issues raised by the IESG.  I'll see if I can grep the discussion out of the
archive.

Cheers,
- Stuart

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Elz [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 1999 8:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: (Almost final) Agenda for dnsind/dnssec in Oslo

If there are any more requests related to this agenda, you will need to
send them soon - the agenda needs to be at the secretariat by
Thursday (after which I will be out of e-mail contact for almost a
week - and for this I mean Thursday Australian time, not US).

For anyone who won't be in Oslo, feel free to begin (or continue)
discussions on any of these issues on the list.

The dns* meeting is scheduelled for Monday July 12, 15:30, in the Kunst
room (but don't believe the room until you get to Oslo and see it
confirmed there).

If I have listed your name beside a topic below, them I am expecting you to
lead the discussion.   If you're unable, please let me know soon (and if
you can suggest a proxy, please do).

Please don't bring a prepared presentation - or at most no more than one or
two
slides (max of *one* for a 5 minute slot), for any of these.  We have a very
full workload, and no time to go through what is in drafts for the benefit
of those who have not read them.   Where no name is listed, Randy, Jim
Galvin,
or I (or some combination thereof) will be looking after it.

As listed below, the 2 hour slot is fully allocated, though it is possible
that one or two of the items below might be relegated to the list.

To all - expect the time limits below to be rigorously enforced.   Please
assist by making as many comments as you can via e-mail in advance of
the meeting.   The meeting *will* start on time!

1. Administrativia, agenda bashing, etc				(3 minutes)

2. Review of current PS RFCs and progress on advancing them. 	(5 minutes)

	rfc1982 rfc1995 rfc1996 rfc2136 rfc2137 rfc2181
	rfc2308 rfc2535 rfc2536 rfc2537 rfc2538 rfc2539

3. Updating status on all known dns* drafts			(15 minutes)

	The idea here is that we go through everything which seems to
	be on the dns* plate, and determine just what we're really
	working on, what the priority for eevrything is, when we expect to
	complete each doc, and what status we currently expect they will
have.

4. Attempting to resolve rfc2052bis.				(15 minutes)

	<draft-ietf-dnsind-rfc2052bis-02.txt>

	The IESG rejected rfc2052bis, and requested several changes.
	So far, we haven't been able to agree on exactly what to do.
	One option is to defer this indefinitely, or even drop it
	(simply leave 2052 as the experimental protocol as it is).
	Otherwise we need to find some way to satisfy the IESG demands
	if we ever expect tos ee this one become a RFC.

5. EDNS1			(10 minutes)		Paul Vixie

	<draft-ietf-dnsind-edns1-03.txt>

	This draft is currently an ongoing work item.	Please be
	prepared to (briefly) suggest improvements, and/or where it
	should go next.

Securing the DNS ...

6. TKey				(5 minutes)		Don Eastlake

	<draft-ietf-dnssec-tkey-01.txt>

	Now tsig is (apparently) done, it makes sense to get tkey
	out there following it asap, if it is ever going to.

7. Simple Secure Update		(10 minutes)		Brian Wellington
	<draft-ietf-dnsind-simple-secure-update-00.txt>

	This shows how to secure dns dynamic update using tsig.
	How close are we to being finished with this draft?
	(the -00 is misleading, it moved from dnssec)

8. DNSSEC update (update2)	(10 minutes)		Don Eastlake
	<draft-ietf-dnssec-update2-00.txt>   (or later draft if it appears)

	The alternative (original) way of securing DNS updates.
	This is an intended replacement for rfc2137. 

9. GSS Tsig			(5 minutes)		Stuart Kwan
	<draft-skwan-gss-tsig-04.txt>

	An alternate algorithm for tsig.

10. Security Key Rollover	(5 minutes)		Don Eastlake
	<draft-ietf-dnsind-rollover-00.txt>

	Dealing with key time rollover (since the time is imbedded
	in a fixed width field, it has to rollover sometime - this
	draft specifies how that works).

New Resource Records...

11. SECure-RR			(5 minutes)		Edward Lewis
	<draft-ietf-dnsind-sec-rr-00.txt>

	This general topic has changed names several times (the dnsind
	appellation is new, hence the -00).

12. Kitchen Sink RR		(5 minutes)		Don Eastlake
	<draft-ietf-dnsind-kitchen-sink-00.txt>

	This has also changed names, it has been floating for ages.

13. Address Prefix List RR	(5 minutes)		Peter Koch
	<draft-ietf-dnsind-apl-rr-02.txt>

Extended functionality...

14. Internationalising DNS Names (5 minutes)		Stuart Kwan
	<draft-skwan-utf8-dns-02.txt>

15. Deferred Dynamic Delete	(5 minutes)		Brian Wellington
	<draft-ietf-dnsind-dddd-01.txt>

16. Verifying Resource Records	(5 minutes)		Mark Andrews
	<draft-ietf-dnsind-verify-00.txt>

17. Local Names			(5 minutes)		Don Eastlake
	<draft-ietf-dnsind-local-names-07.txt>

Reading list:

Note that a few of the drafts listed below are not yet available in
the I-D directories (these URLs will not yet work).   They should be
available by the time the backlog of last minute drafts has drained.

For access via HTTP:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-apl-rr-02.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-dddd-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-edns1-03.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-kitchen-sink-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-local-names-07.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-rfc2052bis-02.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-rollover-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-sec-rr-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-simple-secure-update-0
0.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-verify-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnssec-tkey-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnssec-update2-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-skwan-gss-tsig-04.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-skwan-utf8-dns-02.txt

(or) for access via FTP:

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-apl-rr-02.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-dddd-01.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-edns1-03.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-kitchen-sink-00.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-local-names-07.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-rfc2052bis-02.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-rollover-00.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-sec-rr-00.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-simple-secure-update-00
.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-verify-00.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnssec-tkey-01.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnssec-update2-00.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-skwan-gss-tsig-04.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-skwan-utf8-dns-02.txt