Subject: BIND 8.2.1 released today

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Jun 1999 15:36:07 -0700

(All versions of BIND since 4.8 have been announced on namedroppers.  --vix)

This is BIND 8.2.1.  Highlights vs. BIND 8.2:

	Bug fixes, especially to DNSSEC, TSIG, IXFR, and selective forwarding.
	Performance and portability improvements, and lint removal.
	Use best SOA rather than first-better when selecting an AXFR master.
	$TTL now accepts symbolic time values (such as "$TTL 1h30m").
	"ndc reload" now accepts a zone argument, for single-zone reloads.
	ndc is better behaved; is verbose or quiet when appropriate.
	event and error reporting improvements.

the distribution files are:

ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/8.2.1/bind-src.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/8.2.1/bind-doc.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/8.2.1/bind-contrib.tar.gz

the pgp signature files are:

ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/8.2.1/bind-src.tar.gz.asc
ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/8.2.1/bind-doc.tar.gz.asc
ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/8.2.1/bind-contrib.tar.gz.asc

the md5 checksums are:

b7b3fbcb148db0ff594fbca08ebf38df bind-contrib.tar.gz
c6a8413c29bbdd05282e22522831f8ea bind-contrib.tar.gz.asc
52ba164906f8cb5d0fe1d06ceb5ac5db bind-doc.tar.gz
b0337d6c70fe4c662a4191831236f933 bind-doc.tar.gz.asc
449cad9c83d31c28179d3fa9dabd3a38 bind-src.tar.gz
f85f4d48267d203bbdd0dff021a6f19a bind-src.tar.gz.asc

top of CHANGES says:

	--- 8.2.1 released ---

 713.	[bug]		don't loop on untimely eof within config file.

 712.	[port]		hp-ux signals; aix bit types.

 711.	[perf]		don't call find_zone() four times from within qnew().

	--- 8.2.1-t7b released ---

 710.	[bug]		can fetch zone from own address if port is different.

 709.	[bug]		make sure zones are properly reinited when they die.

 708.	[bug]		end marker or sizeof, but not both please.

	--- 8.2.1-t7a released ---

 707.	[port]		AIX, HPUX, SunOS.

 706.	[feature]	zone forwarding can now be applied to master, slave
			and stub zones as well as forward zones.

 705.	[bug]		some zone options were not being copied.

 704.	[bug]		very obscure problem fixed in res_update().

 703.	[bug]		single-zone reload was stomping freed memory.

	--- 8.2.1-t6b released ---

 702.	[port]		solaris vs. enum; linux vs. IPv6.

 701.	[bug]		NOTIFY rejection logic still wasn't correct.

 700.	[bug]		complete #697

	--- 8.2.1-t5b (rc2) released ---

 699.	[bug]		if getting the ixfr change log fails send a axfr style
			response.

 698.	[bug]		res_notify() was rejecting valid NOTIFY messages.
			re-organise code so that logged messages are more
			appropriate.

 697.	[port]		linux.
			some versions define _GNU_SOURCE in features.h
			some version require the compiler to set the byte order
			when probing for IPv6 structures.

 696.	[bug]		don't use NULL file pointer if IXFR transaction log
			cannot be opened due to permission errors.

 695.	[lint]		another considerable amount of lint was removed.

 694.	[bug]		only the last two forwarders would be used.

 693.	[bug]		nsfwdadd() needed to continue outer loop.

 692.	[bug]		RD was not being cleared by ns_forw().  this could
			cause DNS storms between lame servers.

 691.	[bug]		We still had some leftover named-xfer ixfr tmp files.

 690.	[bug]		return IXFR in question section of AXFR style IXFR
			response.

 689.	[bug]		we now return "up to date" response to IXFR queries
			when required.

 688.	[bug]		UDP IXFR now tells the client to use TCP.

 687.	[bug]		IXFR was incorrectly reporting errors on DNSSEC RRs.

 686.	[port]		hpux Makefile.set improvement (+O2 -> +ESlit).

 685.	[feature]	mark recursive queries in query log.

 684.	[bug]		named-xfer now ignores out-of-class glue.

	--- 8.2.1-t4b (RC1) released ---

 683.	[lint]		considerable lint was removed.

 682.	[perf]		another round of performance tweaks from HP (thanks!).

 681.	[bug]		SIG wasn't being ignored when generating NOTIFY msgs.

 680.	[feature]	delay parent reload as long as we can after removing
			child zone to save multiple parent reloads.

 679.	[port]		port probe now recognizes SCO 5.0.5.

 678.	[doc]		not all man pages were being installed.

 677.	[feature]	lost feature "allow-recursion" added back in.

 676.	[bug]		"100" was too small for ndc message sizes.

 675.	[bug]		we weren't storing a (needed) extra copy of the zname.

 674.	[bug]		SIGTERM wasn't working the first time it was sent.

        --- 8.2.1-t3b released ---

 673.   [bug]           nslookup wasn't accepting _ at the beginning of names.

 672.   [bug]           ndc was only passing the verb across the command
                        channel and not the arguements.  Reload of a single
                        zone "really" works now.

 671.   [feature]       you can reload multiple zones with a single ndc reload
                        command. e.g. ndc reload zone1 zone2 ...

 670.   [bug]           db_load did not work unless a RR had the class defined.

 669.   [bug]           the cache is now purged when a forwarder is {re}loaded.

 668.   [bug]           complete #652.

 667.   [bug]           allow-query wasn't being allowed for stub zones.

 666.   [usability]     only try to chown()/chmod() a control socket when the
                        owner or permissions _change_ between reloads.

 665.   [bug]           "options topology" is now possible to set.

 664.   [security]      add important solaris-related security note to README.

 663.   [bug]           "ndc -q" now turns off initial header and EOF printing.

        --- 8.2.1-t2b released ---

 662.   [usability]     src/conf/ added, containing some of ISC's config files.

 661.   [protocol]      we weren't sending AAAA RR's as AXFR glue.

 660.   [port]          IRIX.

 659.   [contrib]       author-submitted changes to dnssigner, new cider2named.

 658.   [protocol]      print better messages wrt TSIG.  add p_rcode().
                        remove _res_resultcodes[].  improve key handling.

 657.   [port]          apply cpp to /usr/include/netinet/in.h to work out if
                        struct sockaddr_in6 and struct in6_addr/inaddr6 are
                        defined.

 656.   [bug]           Classless IN-ADDR support was broken.

 655.   [bug]           major overhaul of IXFR code.

 654.   [bug]           dynamic update of non top of zone SOA now ZONEERR. 

 653.   [feature]       check-names now applied dynamic updates as if
                        the zone was being loaded.  REFUSED returned.

 652.   [port/bug]      many operating systems allow more descriptors than
                        their default FD_SETSIZE has room for.  we catch this
                        now, both by asking the operating system not to do this
                        and by treating as invalid any out-of-range descriptor.

 651.   [protocol]      any soft failures in res_send() will now cause the
                        final return value to be TRY_AGAIN.  previously the
                        last server response received was the one returned.

 650.   [doc]           resolver.5 man page clarified and corrected; res_init()
                        made to do what the man page now says it does.

 649.   [port]          make header files c++ compatible.

 648.   [bug]           multiple options definitions of allow-query /
                        allow-transfer / sortlist / blackist / topology
                        are not allowed.  warn rather than silently applying
                        the last definition.

 647.   [bug]           options max-ixfr-log-size was not being applied.

 646.   [feature]       memcluster debugging support improved.
                        -DRECORD_MEMCLUSTER to enable.

 645.   [bug]           memory leaks

 644.   [bug]           res_update() could not delete the first CNAME
                        in a chain.
                        
 643.   [bug]           res_update() did not correctly handle labels
                        with periods.

 642.   [port]          SCO 5.0 portability improved.

 641.   [feature]       $TTL now takes TTLs of the form 1w6d7h32m20s.

 640.   [bug]           was returning NODATA rather than NXDOMAIN after a
                        dynamic update removed the last RR from a childless
                        node.

 639.   [bug]           another fix for "rrset_order fixed".

        --- 8.2.1-t1a released ---

 638.   [bug]           ixfr was still creating the wrong file names sometimes.

 637.   [bug]           bin/dnsquery/dnsquery.c wasn't init'ing the resolver
                        correctly befloew calling gethostbyname().

 636.   [port]          inet_ntoa() had to go back to being non-const for now.

 635.   [bug]           AXFR wasn't forcing an autoincrement of SOA.SERIAL
                        following a batch of UPDATE requests.

 634.   [feature]       check all master soa's and use best serial, rather
                        than trying them in order and grabbing the first
                        one who answers with one better than the local one.

 633.   [port]          SunOS 4.1.4 has a broken recvfrom() with non-blocking
                        sockets.

 632.   [bug]           res_mkupdate() signed/unsigned stupidity.

 631.   [bug]           HMAC-MD5 fixes

 630.   [bug]           NSTATS output was spaceless.

 629.   [misc]          improvements to TSIG error logging.

 628.   [bug]           "rrset_order fixed" was LIFO rather than FIFO.

 627.   [bug]           TSIG signed zone transfers broken.

 626.   [bug]           multiple CNAME support was broken.

 625.   [bug]           key names are really domains so they need to be
                        made canonical.

 624.   [bug]           ns_name_pton() accepted domains of the form
                        "example.." when it should have rejected them.

 623.   [feature]       it is occasionally useful to know the local address
                        used to perform a zone transfer. this is now logged.

 622.   [bug]           missing check for malloc() failures in strndup().

 621.   [bug]           various things were wrong with nslookup's "ls -d" cmd.

 620.   [feature]       forwarders are now retried like queries to the
                        delegated nameservers.  forward only should be
                        more robust as a result.

 619.   [protocol]      don't refresh TTL's from delegation information.

 618.   [feature]       ndc is now quiet and verbose when it should be.

 617.   [bug]           SOA counters now have minima as well as maxima.

 616.   [bug]           needs were not always processed in a timely fashion.

 615.   [bug]           ns_shutdown() memput() the wrong amount of memory
                        when freeing the zones array.

 614.   [feature]       ndc can now reload single zones including the root
                        zone.

 613.   [bug]           check for old unix domain socket / fifo prior to
                        attempting to establish control channel. error
                        message no longer just noise.

 612.   [port]          Solaris UNIX domain sockets return different error
                        codes and also may use FIFOs.

 611.   [bug]           extend control timeout to 10 minutes. reloads can
                        take a long time.

 610.   [bug]           when reloading via the control channel we were
                        reporting that we were about to reload after the
                        reload was performed. Ensure message is set prior
                        to reloading.

 609.   [bug]           zoneTypeString() could be called with NULL pointer.

 608.   [bug]           set various pointers to NULL after associated
                        memory has been released to prevent accidental use.

 607.   [bug]           finddata() was returning SIG's inappropriately.

 606.   [bug]           fix two memory leaks in db_sec.c.

 605.   [feature]       better error reporting from named-xfer.

 604.   [bug]           fix a bug in the handling of $TTL's absence.

 603.   [port]          add contributed/untested rhapsody port.

 602.   [bug]           multiple "type hint" zones are now supported.

 601.   [bug]           z_ftime wasn't being reset when fopen() failed.

 600.   [bug]           gen_res_get() was initializing the wrong variable.

 599.   [bug]           "ndc reload" exercised an uninitialized variable.

 598.   [bug]           "nslookup reports danger" was reported ambiguously.

 597.   [bug]           we weren't priming the cache in forward-only mode.

 596.   [bugs]          many small bugs in DNSSEC handling were fixed.

 595.   [bug]           nsupdate failed to support quite a few rr types:
                        sig,key,nxt,eid,numloc,srv,atma,naptr,kx,cert

 594.   [proto]         BADID removed per I-D.

 593.   [bug]           mk_update() didn't support SIG.

 592.   [bug]           lcl_pr and lcl_ho were using uninitialized bufsizes.

 591.   [port]          linux.

 590.   [port]          irix.

 589.   [doc]           hesiod(3) man page contrib'd in 1996 finally put in.

 588.   [bug]           too many lame servers at once was fatal.

        --- 8.2 released ---
...

-- 
Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>

"I sorta lean towards different both." --asp