Subject: Update Data Signatures

From: Mark Gritter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:55:47 -0700 (PDT)

May SIG RRs appear in the prerequisites section of an update request?

My concern is that, since no special handling is mentioned for SIGs in
the prerequisites section, an implementation would be forced to include
SIG RRs not relevant to the actual update--- for example, to check for
the (value-dependent) existence of a SIG record covering A, all SIGs with
the same owner would have to be included.

I'm not convinced that allowing SIG prerequisites is all that useful, 
anyway, but I find the "default" treatment at odds with the conceptual
binding of SIGs to particular RRsets, rather than appearing as RRsets
of their own.

Mark Gritter
[email-masked]

---

From: Paul A Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:43:25 -0700

> May SIG RRs appear in the prerequisites section of an update request?

this question wasn't really considered when RFC 2136 was being prepared.

> the same owner would have to be included.

ouch.

> binding of SIGs to particular RRsets, rather than appearing as RRsets

i'm treating this as a call for a value-independent prerequisite.  anybody?

---

From: Paul A Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:33:37 -0700

> We already have value-independent prerequisites, such as asserting a type
> exists for a name with no concern for the data.  Do you mean a call for a
> value-specific prerequisite to assert the existence or non-existence of a
> record without specifying the entire RRset?
> 
> If so, I'll chime in with support for that.

that wouldn't solve quite this problem.  i guess i was thinking in terms of
matching just the type-covered part of a SIG.

---

From: Josh Littlefield <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:27:02 -0400

-- 
========================================================================
Josh Littlefield                                     Cisco Systems, Inc.
[email-masked]                                         250 Apollo Drive
tel: 978-244-8378  fax: 978-244-8378          Chelmsford, MA  01824-3627