Subject: Re: draft-duerst-dns-i18n-02.txt

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 99 12:27:20 JST

Kre;

>   | It is merely that they can't call it I18N.
> 
> If this is all you have ever been worried about, then I think we ought
> to forget your concerns, and simply get on with defining how it ought be
> done for those people who want to do it, so software which is written in
> one lcoation will work for people who want to use it somewhere else.

You completely misunderstand the issue.

With proper configuration or tuning, software which is written
in one location works for people who want to use localized
version of it somewhere else.

But, it is of course.

On the other hand, some localized software localized at some
location is useless or even harmful somewhere else, which is
the issue.

> What it is called is irrelevant.

I'm afraid you should not say "it" unless you understand "it".

Wrong labeling, of course, results in wrong specifications.

>   | This sort of fundamental confusions makes any document for or
>   | against the issue (if you had understood the issue at all)
>   | pretty useless, I'm afraid.
> 
> It may be true that I am totally confused.   But if no-one ever takes the
> trouble to write down what the issues are really supposed to be, then you
> really should not be surprised by that.  

I did not say I won't write it.

> Further, you can't really expect
> anyone to take your concerns very seriously.

I know you can't.

But it is your problem, if you or this WG is involved in I18N/L10N
discussions.

If this WG should not discuss it, I don't have to write any document
nor pay a lot of effort to let you understand it and I'm fine.

							Masataka Ohta

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:57:58 +0700

Date:        Wed, 28 Jul 99 12:27:20 JST
    From:        Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | You completely misunderstand the issue.

Very likely.

  | With proper configuration or tuning, software which is written
  | in one location works for people who want to use localized
  | version of it somewhere else.

Really?   If my software is encoding my local names in UTF-8 for DNS
queries, and your software is encoding them in UTF-5, they operate
together?   How?    It is avoiding this kind of problem that standards
are for.   Do you agree that there ought be a standard way of writing
local (non-ascii) names in the DNS, independent of the question of whether
anyone ought to be using it, or if they are using it, what they should be
calling it?

  | On the other hand, some localized software localized at some
  | location is useless or even harmful somewhere else, which is
  | the issue.

It certainly can be.   Whether it necessarily is in this case, and
especially if all agree on how the localized software ought be done
and what it means, is still to be determined I believe.

  | I did not say I won't write it.

Good, then please do - and also please let us have no more of this
discussion until after you have done so.

kre