Subject: Re: [iDNS] Re: draft-jseng-utf5-00.txt

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 23:55:23 -0700

Terry Lambert wrote:
> The multiple registrations issue is really a non-starter
> for me, since I could argue that Hirugana registrations
> of Kanji registrations must be made, even in the Unicode
> case.  I think a fiat that you must use Kanji, or that
> Kanji and Hirugana machines of the same name are in fact
> definitionally different names, is fine.

that is true. but *why* make it more complicated. with RFC2047
domain names, you not only need to duplicate it for hiragana
and kanji, multiple this by the number of locale encodings,
then multiple it by Base64, quoted-printable and UUencoded.

so to get one domain name in RFC2047 in Chinese, i have to 
register and managed 2 (simp+trad) x 3 (locale encodings) x 3 
18 zone files. cool, now lets do the sub-delegation of my zone
erm.., another permuation of 18x. by the 2nd level, it has 
become ridicilous! some languages have more than 10 locale
encodings and good luck to those.

RFC2045-7 are not meant for data processing, and they *never*
are. no one use MIME for data processing. it is a design as 
a way to encode data content.
 
> Plain old vanilla RFC 821 is very clear:

i think these are from RFC1034. but lets go on...

> only domains.  Maildrops are not persons.  Locale specific

IMHO, maildrops are person. [email-masked] my email address.
and it means as much to me as James Seng. I have a chinese name
and i would like to have a chinese email address. Consider someone,
say from rural China area, who has *never* study English, 
[email-masked] is totally unintelligent to him but i am quite
sure an email like ²ø®¶§»@¹q¶l.¤½¥q.·s¥[©Y is reasonable to him.
You may not understand this gibberish, but i am sure he can.
this is the social reason why we are promoting I18N in DNS and
the next step, is of cos Email. My Email address means a lot to
you. To put it frankly, I dont really care if my Chinese Email 
doesnt makes sense to anyone in the English world. For them, I
always have my English email address. But I *want* to have my
Chinese Email to communicate with my fellow Chinese. And I am 
sure there are a lot of people who feel strongly about their own 
language to want this to happen.

Do not deny us the right to communicate in our own language for 
the convience of yourself or because you cannot understand it.

> What you are suggesting would result in language specific,
> not country specific, top level domains.
>
> The current system employs country specific top level domains,
> and can not (should not!) be converted to language specific
> ones.  If you think that it is difficult now to get a
> registration, wait until you have 5 countries claiming
> authority.

It is only an example. I am not making any proposal on the TLD.
I will leave it to the iName working group to sort that out. For
me, my task is to solve the technical issues with iDNS and that
is what i will do. u can argue on my examples if u wish but u
are barking at the wrong tree.
 
> > > It is not being updated to be cognizant of UTF-* or
> > > Unicode -- nor should it be.  That is the job of MIME.
> >
> > And MIME is unfortunately insufficient to provide a complete
> > I18N solution. I10N yes, but not I18N where you want a unified
> > code.
> 
> I think if we are talking about a short term soloution, then
> L10N is sufficient, for the short term.

What makes you think so? I would like to see an working 
implementation of l10n DNS or at least a proposal.

In case you wonder, we went thru at least 6 prototypes
of iDNS before we come up with this proposal, including
the one using RFC2047 domain names.

> Can we seperate the UTF-5 discussion from the DNS I18N
> discussion?

This is fine with me. We only bring up I18N DNS and EMail
because I was asked to justify for Yet-another-UTF. So, 
is there anything suggestions you have for UTF-5?

-James Seng

---

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 23:55:23 -0700

-James Seng