Subject: UTF5

From: [email-masked] (Andreas Gustafsson)
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:41:39 -0400 (EDT)

At the Oslo DNSIND meeting, there was mention of a proposal to use
UTF5 in DNS names, as an alternative to the use of UTF8 proposed in
draft-skwan-utf8-dns-02.txt.

There is an internet draft about this: draft-duerst-dns-i18n-02.txt.
The web pages at <http://www.idns.org/> may also be of interest.

This is not an endorsement of the draft-duerst-dns-i18n draft or the
iDNS effort, just a note to make the working group aware of their
existence.
-- 
Andreas Gustafsson, [email-masked]

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 99 16:15:45 JST

Andreas;

> iDNS effort, just a note to make the working group aware of their

The correct labeling is LDNS, because it makes DNS names local
with no international use.

You might have thought that the ASCII encoding can still be
used internationally. However, in the international context,
it is a lot better to say

	hpcl.titech.ac.jp

than

	f83cmbue84lvjsy.w45dsf3scnv6e.al3j2flaj.dfk09jv.i

Beside the wrong labeling, duplicated encoding of Unicode (not only
with precomposed characters) makes its use impossible even locally.

							Masataka Ohta