Subject: Re: I have a problem with 2052bis

From: Maurizio Codogno <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 20:52:47 +0200 (MET DST)

"   |      "Each time a target is needed, the client should order the remaining
"   |      (not previously used) SRV RRs at the current priority in any
"   |      random fashion, except placing all those with weight 0
"   |      at the beginning of the list"
"   | 
"   | What does it mean "not previously used"?
" 
" The idea is that if you're he foobar application client, and you want to
" contact a foobar server, you look up the list of SRV records, order them
" as described, and then attempt to make a connection to the name that you
" selected using the weight algorithm.   If, for any reason, that attempt
" fails, then you have to select an alternate server to try.   Then you
" take the list from the SRV response, except for those you have already
" attempted a connection to ... those are the "previously used" ones.

Ok, now the concept is clear. It's still not clear to me how long the
client should cross out the unreachable server (I am thinking about
processes which live for a very long time, and every now and then make some
request. But probably the simplest option is to forget everything soon
after having found a working server)

" Can you suggest some wording which might make this a little clearer?

I'd rework the description, deleting the parenthesis and adding another
sentence: "if the selected server fails, the algorithm is restarted, deleting
from the list any failing server". In this way, a reader knows that this is
a particular case.

ciao, .mau.