Subject: Re: FW: IPv6 and Dynamic DNS

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 09:12:51 +0200

At 14:47 04/08/99 -0400, Cutler, James R wrote:
>Nothing an end user does (which requires a TCP/IP connection) should require
>knowledge of either the assigned address or the reverse lookup of the
>assigned address.

There are several places where reverse lookup is used today.
I do not want to enter in the debate to know if this is good security
practise or not, I'm just saying this is used.

1) .rhost mechanism

2) some FTP anonymous server insist that you have a PTR record.
     If you don't, they do not accept FTP connections.

3) anti-spaming rules in SMTP servers. Same thing, if the SMTP
     client address does not resolve to a valid PTR, some SMTP servers
     will refuse to get the mail.

For those reasons, I'm now manually entering PTR records for my v6 hosts
(most of them use stateless autoconf). My life as netadmin will be much
easier when I'll have DHCPv6 do that for me.

Of course, one can still argue that, if you're visiting a foreign network,
not having a valid PTR record might be a feature :-)

         - Alain.

---

From: Hans-Peter Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 08:56:17 +0200

>      will refuse to get the mail.

There are also ERP (enterprise resscource planning) applications around that
need the reverse lookup. Such applications are business driven and not by
technology. The networks must be higway for informations.

> easier when I'll have DHCPv6 do that for me.

As  feedback from my customers, they will not accept a manual maintentance of
the  ip6.int domin.

Besides: Lot of customers have severe problems to maintain their reverselookup
in the IPv4 world unless they use a special DNS.

--

                                 \\""""//
                                  (0 0)
 +---------------------oOO---------(_)--------------------------------+
 |Hans-Peter Durand               E-Mail:  [email-masked]|
 |COMPAQ Computer Corporation                       [email-masked]|
 |Murtenstrasse 137a,                          Voice: +41 79 311 10 54|
 |CH-3001 Berne, Switzerland                     Fax: +41 31 381 56 73|
 +---------------------------------------------oOO--------------------+
                                 |__|__|
                                  || ||
                                 ooO Ooo