Subject: RE: How to use the GL RR to define multiple locations within a campus.

From: "Al Costanzo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 21:16:25 -0500

| > ___SAY WHAT??___ Area codes in New Jersey have been
| > change once every two years
| >
| > First there was 201 and 609
| > 908 was added a few years back
| > 732 and 973 were added last year
| >
| > Please get your facts right before making statements like this.
|
| sarcasm never fails to confuse some folks I see....
| You're making his
| point for him!  ;-)

Greg,

Sarcasm does not matter to me, I am saying that it does not matter if your
Zip code changes, you'll have to change your address anyway so big deal you
change your GL entry as well.  Postal Codes change, but _VERY_ seldom!
Comparing it to Area Code changes is not apropos.

IP numbers change and so do alot of other things.

Just because a Zip code _MAY_ change does not mean that GL is not a good
concept, as a matter of fact, for the reasons I mentioned previously, I
think it is better.

Implying that LOC is a better concept because Lat and Long are constant are
the BIG problem that GL resolves for moving objects.

GL does a whole lot more than zip codes but many on this list are hung up on
this one point and cannot see the bigger picture. (its a shame)

As I already explained in my response to Matt C.,as to how GL is far more
sup. to LOC for moving objects. Did this letter not make the list as well?

-Al

---

From: [email-masked] (Greg A. Woods)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 13:02:27 -0400 (EDT)

[ On Tuesday, August 10, 1999 at 21:16:25 (-0500), Al Costanzo wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: How to use the GL RR to define multiple locations within a campus.
>

LOC doesn't (at least as far as I've read and seen in its real-world
use) try to solve the problem of locating moving objects (with the
silliness of geo-synchronous objects and dynamic DNS updates aside).

> this one point and cannot see the bigger picture. (its a shame)

I'm still trying to understand why GL is any better than a TXT RR that
simply starts with the string "GL:", "sysLocation:", "Address:", ....   ;-)

(especially since getting a new RR into the DNS is enormously more
complex and "risky" endeavour than simply using what's already there)

> sup. to LOC for moving objects. Did this letter not make the list as well?

I don't know.  In this case your reply shouldn't really have gone to the
list either -- my reply to you was purposefully not sent to the list.  ;-)

-- 
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <[email-masked]>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <[email-masked]>; Secrets of the Weird <[email-masked]>