Subject: Re: [iDNS] Re: draft-jseng-utf5-00.txt

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 99 8:37:55 JST

James Seng;

>>>> It is not being updated to be cognizant of UTF-* or
>>>> Unicode -- nor should it be.  That is the job of MIME.
>>>
>>> And MIME is unfortunately insufficient to provide a complete
>>> I18N solution. I10N yes, but not I18N where you want a unified
>>> code.

Irrelevant.

As is demonstraed with ISO-2022-JP, we have been able to use the
unified code with ISO 2022 without any MIME extensions.

ISO-2022-JP, -KR, -CN, -JP2, -INT, all works without MIME.

I am not using MIME for Japanese or international communication,
unless I have to attach files not in uuencode.

However, the exsitence of the unified code does not mean
I18N of mails. Mails must be written in language and encoding
comprehensible to all the intended receivers, which makes I18N
of it impossible.

>> I think if we are talking about a short term soloution, then
>> L10N is sufficient, for the short term.

The long term solution of the internationalized DNS has been
here. RFC 1034 and RFC 1035 are dated 1987. So, we have been
using the internationalized DNS for more than 10 years,
a really long term.

> What makes you think so? I would like to see an working 
> implementation of l10n DNS or at least a proposal.

Yours is a one, assuming it is working.

> In case you wonder, we went thru at least 6 prototypes
> of iDNS before we come up with this proposal, including
> the one using RFC2047 domain names.

So the remaining job is to name it LDNS.

							Masataka Ohta