Subject: RE: How to use the GL RR to define multiple locations within a ca mpus.

From: "Emerson, Dave (D.)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 16:31:41 +0100

> -----Original Message-----

	<snipped for brevity>

	In the middle east, e.g. Saudi, there are no "addresses" for many
domestic homes or business premises.  Mail is handled by Post Offices boxes
and visits are arranged by sketch maps.

	In this environment a GPS - derived LAT and LONG may be the only
textural method of defining a location, but it has limited value.  A
snailmail address (or ZIP code) will only get you to a regional sorting
office.

	The GL vs LOC debate is getting into a M$ vs Linux, or VHS vs
Betamax (remember Betamax?) scenario. Does there need to be a winner?  Is
there not room for both?

	The point that everyone seems to miss is why does anyone want to
describe the location of a resource?  Each reason would define the most
appropriate definition of describing that location.  If you need to send
snail-mail, then a postal address is appropriate.  If you want to target a
cruise missile then GPS might do the job.   If you just want to trace a
route around the world then a city/country might be good enough.  

	Would you ever trust the location (small L) record, of a resource
you don't manage, if the accuracy was important to you?

--  
Dave Emerson              Tel:Int.7302188 Ext.+44 (1)277 692188 
Special Projects, 12/016  Fax:Int.7302022 Ext.+44 (1)277 692022 
Technical Services        Internet Mail: [email-masked]      
Ford Credit Europe        Intranet Mail: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:05:14 -0700 (PDT)

> Betamax (remember Betamax?) scenario. Does there need to be a winner?  Is

	i think the issue is not so much GL vs LOC by why GL in the
	first place. I can do GL in a TXT record. Humans read GL data.
	There are applications that use LOC records.

-- 
--bill