Subject: IPv6 Support in the Nominet Register

From: Peter Gradwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:57:36 +0000

Hello,

I wish to present this "resolution" to the PAB for discussion prior
to our next meeting. It's about IPv6 support in the Nominet Register.

IPv6, is in a word, a new type of ip address. A primer can be
found here:

http://whatis.techtarget.com/WhatIs_Search_Results_Exact/1,282033,,00.html?query=ipv6

I note that this topic will also be included in the IETF DNSOP agenda
for their meeting 18-23rd March. Hopefully I'll be able to get a copy
of the minutes and report back on what they say, with respect to
IPv6 support in the root name servers.

peter

--- begins

INTRODUCTION and RATIONALE:
IPv6 provides two new DNS record type for the mapping of names to
addresses (the A6 and AAAA records). Currently, AAAA is widely
supported, but depreciated, whilst A6 is newer and less well supported.

Currently, the Nominet systems do not support the delegation of
names using A6 or AAAA records. They only support A records.

Currently IPv6 support and deployment is more advanced than most
imagine. Commercial services are being deployed, and much of the
address allocation infrastructure is in place. Requests for the use of
IPv6 name servers are increasing and there is debate at the root level
regarding the implementation of IPv6 root servers. Verisign-GRS have
suggested that they will support IPv6 delegations shortly.

Additionally, new services like 3G Telephony are likely to be big users
of IPv6.

RECOMMENDATION
That Nominet becomes one of the first registrars to implement IPv6
Support, thus ensuring a stable platform when large scale deployment
is required.

This is likely to entail:

- Upgrade the automaton and associated database etc. to handle the
use of an IPv6 address for a name server.

- Provide name servers that are contactable from IPv6 Networks (6bone).

- Considering the impact of the demise of AS numbers on the rules for
delegation of SLDs (e.g. net.uk).

---ends

-- 
peter gradwell. gradwell dot com Ltd. http://www.gradwell.com/
** New: High Quality email2sms: http://www.ovien.com/ **