Subject: IETF is not interested in redefinition of the root servers?

From: Anssi Porttikivi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 16:55:13 +0300

If you folks on this list think this is not the right group for this topic,
I will not discuss it any more here. But regarding recent Internet drafts
like

S. Higgs: Alternative Roots and the Virtual Inclusive Root
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-higgs-virtual-root-00.txt

and

S. Higgs: Root Zone Definitions
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-higgs-root-defs-01.txt

and RFCs like

IAB Technical Comment on the Unique DNS Root
http://community.roxen.com/developers/idocs/rfc/rfc2826.html

there definitely seems to be interest within the "IETF" to such issues as
redefinition of the root name structures. Can you point me to the more
spesific right forums for this kind of discussion?

-----Original Message-----
From: Donald E. Eastlake 3rd [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 31. toukokuuta 2001 16:43
To: Anssi Porttikivi
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: A letter hierarchy based scheme for arbitrary TLDs 

Hi,

The message below is outside the charter of this working group.  It is
a message entirely within the realm of ICANN/DNSO/USDOC/... NOT the
IETF. Please do not post any further on this topic to this list.

Thanks,
Donald

From:  Anssi Porttikivi <[email-masked]>
Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>
To:  [email-masked]
Date:  Thu, 31 May 2001 14:02:17 +0300
Content-Type:  text/plain;
	      	charset="iso-8859-1"
Sender:  [email-masked]
Precedence:  bulk
>How about this:
>
>Let's SET UP NEW TOP LEVEL DOMAINS FOR ALL SINGLE LETTERS a., b.,...z. So
>the top domains will be the classical ones + these new one letter TLDs.
>
>Now I want to have a name "anssi.abc." for my machine. I rewrite it (first
>in my head) to be "anssi.a.b.c."
>
>I go to the "c." TLD server administration. I ask them, if anyone has
>registered a "b.c." first level name with them. If such domain exists, I go
>to its administrator, and ask, if they have a domain "a.b.c." already. And
>so on, up to the letter, that is not yet served by anyone. If the domain
>"a.b.c." already does exist, I can't register a new one. First come first
>served.
>
>In this case, let's say the domain "b.c." did exist, but the domain
"a.b.c."
>did not. Now I register my "a.b.c." with the domain "b.c." administration.
>There should be a rule, that single letter domains allow registration for
>any unregistered single letter subdomains!
>
>So now I can set up names like "anssi.a.b.c." in my own name server,
serving
>the domain "a.b.c.", registered at "b.c.".
>
>NOW I MODIFY MY RESOLVER and ask everybody to do the same, if they please!
>The new versions of resolvers are standardized to TRANSLATE ALL
UNRECOGNISED
>many-letter TLDs into a sequence of one letter domains. So "anssi.abc."
will
>be resolved as "anssi.a.b.c." domain.
>
>Additionally, domains "c.o.m.", "o.r.g." etc. and corresponding country
>domains like "f.i." and "u.k." can be set up as peered, synonymous domains
>for "com.", "org.", "fi., "uk." and such. So that the new resolvers would
>not even have to know any list of special "recognizable" classic TLD
>domains.
>
>Now anybody is free to set up whatever TLDs they want to!!!
>
>Old resolvers will work with the old TLDs.
>
>Old resolvers will kind of work with the new names, but only if you
>translate manually, using "anssi.a.b.c" instead of "anssi.abc".
>
>New resolvers will work with all names, old and new, whether written as
>"anssi.a.b.c." or "anssi.abc."
>
>[email-masked]
>Data communications trainer/consultant
>Teleware, Helsinki

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:52:54 -0400

>IAB Technical Comment on the Unique DNS Root
...and a draft by K. Crispin...
>spesific right forums for this kind of discussion?

These issues certainly impact the Internet, but they aren't really
engineering issues.  (No amount of code written and fiber run will
straighten out the arguments.)  There are two reasons IMHO why these
documents have appeared in the IETF:

        1) There are a lot of IETF'ers that care about the topic
        2) There isn't an equivalent documentation system in ICANN[0]

My suggestion is to find a more ICANN-like discussion mailing list (I
believe they exist) and refer to the ID's in that list.  It's not a sin to
discuss this here, but folks on this list are more concerned with how the
DNS works than with the data the DNS carries, hence you won't get the
discussion you want.

[0] Yeah, I know they have open forums and a website, but it's not the same.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: [email-masked]

You fly too often when ... the airport taxi is on speed-dial.

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.