Subject: I am trying ICANN+DNSO

From: Anssi Porttikivi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 18:05:10 +0300

I try to start a discussion on these places:

ICANN Public Comments Forum  New TLD Agreements
http://forum.icann.org/newtldagmts/

and here

DNSO Archives [ga] ("General Assembly" whatever that means)
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc07/maillist.html

If interested, see also Slashdot discussion thread "Legitimacy Of ICANN?"
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/05/29/2312213&mode=nested, which
refers an earlier thread "IETF vs. ICANN"
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/05/30/1720213.

-----Original Message-----
From: Edward Lewis [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 31. toukokuuta 2001 17:53
To: Anssi Porttikivi
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IETF is not interested in redefinition of the root servers?

At 9:55 AM -0400 5/31/01, Anssi Porttikivi wrote:
>S. Higgs: Alternative Roots and the Virtual Inclusive Root
>S. Higgs: Root Zone Definitions
>IAB Technical Comment on the Unique DNS Root
...and a draft by K. Crispin...
>
>there definitely seems to be interest within the "IETF" to such issues as
>redefinition of the root name structures. Can you point me to the more
>spesific right forums for this kind of discussion?

These issues certainly impact the Internet, but they aren't really
engineering issues.  (No amount of code written and fiber run will
straighten out the arguments.)  There are two reasons IMHO why these
documents have appeared in the IETF:

        1) There are a lot of IETF'ers that care about the topic
        2) There isn't an equivalent documentation system in ICANN[0]

My suggestion is to find a more ICANN-like discussion mailing list (I
believe they exist) and refer to the ID's in that list.  It's not a sin to
discuss this here, but folks on this list are more concerned with how the
DNS works than with the data the DNS carries, hence you won't get the
discussion you want.

[0] Yeah, I know they have open forums and a website, but it's not the same.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: [email-masked]

You fly too often when ... the airport taxi is on speed-dial.

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.