Subject: I try to make the purpose of this wg clearer to me...

From: Anssi Porttikivi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 17:12:18 +0300

I understand, that current tradition of sharing responsibilities within IETF
and ICANN working groups perhaps excludes my topic from this wg, but the
current dnsops charter reads:

...
The group will perform the following activities:

 1. Define the processes by which Domain Name System (DNS) servers may
    be efficiently and correctly administered, configured, and
    operated on Internet networks.  This will include root zone name
    servers, gTLD name servers, and the name servers of other DNS
    domains....

Maybe you should rephrase that to more clearly exclude discussion of new
global root name space organization from this group? So this group is
strictly about administering and design of DNS protocol and servers, not
about the relations of different domain levels and delegation
responsibilities?

-----Original Message-----
From: Donald E. Eastlake 3rd [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 31. toukokuuta 2001 16:43
To: Anssi Porttikivi
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: A letter hierarchy based scheme for arbitrary TLDs 

Hi,

The message below is outside the charter of this working group.  It is
a message entirely within the realm of ICANN/DNSO/USDOC/... NOT the
IETF. Please do not post any further on this topic to this list.

Thanks,
Donald

From:  Anssi Porttikivi <[email-masked]>
Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>
To:  [email-masked]
Date:  Thu, 31 May 2001 14:02:17 +0300
Content-Type:  text/plain;
	      	charset="iso-8859-1"
Sender:  [email-masked]
Precedence:  bulk
>How about this:
>
>Let's SET UP NEW TOP LEVEL DOMAINS FOR ALL SINGLE LETTERS a., b.,...z. So
>the top domains will be the classical ones + these new one letter TLDs.
>
>Now I want to have a name "anssi.abc." for my machine. I rewrite it (first
>in my head) to be "anssi.a.b.c."
>
>I go to the "c." TLD server administration. I ask them, if anyone has
>registered a "b.c." first level name with them. If such domain exists, I go
>to its administrator, and ask, if they have a domain "a.b.c." already. And
>so on, up to the letter, that is not yet served by anyone. If the domain
>"a.b.c." already does exist, I can't register a new one. First come first
>served.
>
>In this case, let's say the domain "b.c." did exist, but the domain
"a.b.c."
>did not. Now I register my "a.b.c." with the domain "b.c." administration.
>There should be a rule, that single letter domains allow registration for
>any unregistered single letter subdomains!
>
>So now I can set up names like "anssi.a.b.c." in my own name server,
serving
>the domain "a.b.c.", registered at "b.c.".
>
>NOW I MODIFY MY RESOLVER and ask everybody to do the same, if they please!
>The new versions of resolvers are standardized to TRANSLATE ALL
UNRECOGNISED
>many-letter TLDs into a sequence of one letter domains. So "anssi.abc."
will
>be resolved as "anssi.a.b.c." domain.
>
>Additionally, domains "c.o.m.", "o.r.g." etc. and corresponding country
>domains like "f.i." and "u.k." can be set up as peered, synonymous domains
>for "com.", "org.", "fi., "uk." and such. So that the new resolvers would
>not even have to know any list of special "recognizable" classic TLD
>domains.
>
>Now anybody is free to set up whatever TLDs they want to!!!
>
>Old resolvers will work with the old TLDs.
>
>Old resolvers will kind of work with the new names, but only if you
>translate manually, using "anssi.a.b.c" instead of "anssi.abc".
>
>New resolvers will work with all names, old and new, whether written as
>"anssi.a.b.c." or "anssi.abc."
>
>[email-masked]
>Data communications trainer/consultant
>Teleware, Helsinki