Subject: NGtrans - DNSext joint meeting, call for participation

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:18:49 -0700

The NGtrans/DNSext chairs would like to make a call for participation
in the upcoming joint meeting.

The goal of the meeting is to facilitate consensus on how IPv6
addresses are represented in DNS and related issues. This meeting
requires extensive homework by participants and the chairs would like
to request submission of documents for a reading list for this meeting.

The output from the meeting will be draft consensus proposal.

Here is non exclusive a list of relevant topics:

1 - Design tradeoffs in DNS and IPv6 (AAAA, A6, DNAME, bit string)
       - DNS operational considerations including DNSSEC
         costs in regard of address record format
       - DNS implementation complications due to address record format
       - IPv6 Remembering requirements and impact on address record
         format
       - Case for A6
       - Case for AAAA
       - transition from ip6.int to ip6.arpa
       - transition from AAAA to A6

2 - tools/protocols/strategies to bridge IPv6 and IPv4 DNS resolution

Anybody wishing to make a presentation should send a draft
to the chairs of this meeting before July 26th 2001, 21:00 UTC
(that is, 2pm PDT, 5pm EDT, 11pm MEST)
     - Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
     - Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>

Drafts not yet published by the ID editor are acceptable
contributions (please include an URL).

The chairs will review the list of submission, derived the actual
agenda of the meeting from it and send all reading materials to the
DNSext and NGtrans mailing list no later than July 27th, 21:00 UTC.

	- Alain & Olafur.

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 02:29:42 -0700 (PDT)

NOTE WELL:  
this e-mail is not in accordance with the all requirements of section 10
of RFC2026 ... in particular, I haven't given due credit to those who taught
me to read and write (frankly, I don't remember who they were), and vast
numbers of other people, all of whom contributed to my getting to where I
am today...  However, I make no copyright claims to it, use it how you will.
I also have no patents, pending or issued, on any of the technology (or ever
ideas) discussed herein.  "IETF" might be a trade mark, so might "RFC", but
they don't belong to me.
	------------------------------------------------------

In section seven, you call out for the desire to have native IPv6 transport
aware DNS servers for the inverse mapping of the IPv6 address tree. While
I can't speak to the IP6.ARPA proposal, the IP6.INT domain has had native
IPv6 servers for nearly a year and the INT domain has had a native IPv6
server for 6 months.  An informal sub-group of the RSSAC has had working,
test root servers, that are native IPv6 aware for a little over a year.

So there is a community with some emperical experience with these issues.

-- 
--bill

---

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 05:53:58 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Manning" <[email-masked]>
To: "Alain Durand" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; "Olafur
Gudmundsson" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2001 4:29 AM
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-ngtrans-dns-ops-req-00.txt

> ideas) discussed herein.  "IETF" might be a trade mark, so might "RFC",
but

Are the "test root servers" using 2002:<IPv4>:0000 style addressing ?

Has the ICANN Board approved these alternative root servers ?

Are there native IPv6 .COM servers?

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12524.html
RFC-2001-06-27-001 - Obtaining IPv8 Address Allocations

Jim Fleming
http://www.unir.com/images/architech.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/address.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/headers.gif
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/tpipv6/start.asp
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12213.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12223.html

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 04:35:39 -0700 (PDT)

NOTE WELL:
	--------------------------------------------------------------

% Are the "test root servers" using 2002:<IPv4>:0000 style addressing ?

	No.  They are test machines and use testing addresses.
	Mapped IPv4 is not a test but a transition technique.

% Has the ICANN Board approved these alternative root servers ?

	Not to my knowledge. They are not production services, they
	are used to experiment and test.  That said, several ICANN
	staff and Board members have informally been made aware of 
	this testbed.

% Are there native IPv6 .COM servers?

	I would not know.

% Jim Fleming

--bill

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:42:43 -0400

alain,

you have a bug in your mail system.  somehow the line which said that rob
austien's draft will be used as the agenda driver got dropped.  you may want
to try to send the agreed message again.

randy