Subject: IP6.INT mapping

From: Shane Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:15:18 +0200

All,

In light of the draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-02.txt draft, I'm
curious what work has been done on the operation aspects of
administering an IPv6 network's IP6.INT mappings.

The reason I ask is that:

1. IPv6 numbers are difficult to use (for humans), so names are nice.
2. Every home is going to get a /48, chock-full-O-devices.
3. Many of these devices are going to autoconfigure (which is as it
   should be).

So...

Do we expect every home user to receive a IP6.INT delegation?  Or do we
expect each ISP to be able to receive updates from home users (perhaps
via dynamic DNS)?  Or am I the only one that thinks this might be an
issue?

In my mind the big issue is exchanging secrets - I suspect this is
always a problem in any autoconfiguring environment.  Whether this is
from the ISP to the home, or from the devices to the home DNS server,
the problem seems similiar.

Just point me to the appropriate list and/or docs if this is a solved
problem!

-- 
Shane

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 20:36:00 +0859 ()

Shane;

> administering an IPv6 network's IP6.INT mappings.

There is some operational/administrative experience in an environment
much much smaller than that of IPv4.

> the problem seems similiar.

It is well known that stateless autoconfiguration is useful in a small
closed environment but is totally useless in an open environment of
the Internet.

						Masataka Ohta