Subject: My first rough draft of my first I-D

From: "Curtis Kularski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 22:42:30 -0400

Hello everyone,

Attached to this message is a very rough draft of an I-D which I intend to submit later this month (maybe next month, if I don't find a co-author).  This is my first attempt ever at anything like this.  I would like your input and comments on the document. I have gotten it close to the format required, but it is not exact yet (it will be before I submit it). I want serious opinions about this document, so I know how much work I have ahead of me. 

The document is 6 pages in length and covers a few different topics. Later I may break the sections up into seperate documents if the topics grow.

Thank you for the input.

Sincerely, 
Curtis M. Kularski
[email-masked]   

--
Curtis M. Kularski
[email-masked]
http://PERSONAL.C-M-K.COM
http://TECH.C-M-K.COM
Microsoft Associate Expert
http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

Ask Jeeves AnswerPoint Enthusiast (Bronze level)
http://answerpoint.ask.com

--

---

From: Nathan Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 16:40:48 +1000

Hi Curtis,

>This is my first attempt ever at anything like this.  I
>would like your input and comments on the document. 

Since I see no response to your request for feedback, here are some
comments to consider before continuing.

Your draft draft has three main areas of discussion:

- email aliases

See RFC2142 - it recommends several important aliases and tells when
to use them

- don't use dots in email addresses

There's no real reason to tell all the people that legitimately use
[email-masked] that they shouldn't, since the DNS
specifications specifically cover this. If you use such an email
address in an SOA record (for example), you must escape the dot:
firstname\[email-masked]

- hostname aliases

I'm not sure if this topic is covered by other RFCs. However, I'm not
sure what you are trying to say with your draft. Are you making
recommendations? (In which case, you need to read some RFCs that use
the language prescribed in RFC 2119.) Are you just providing some
interesting information on what people currently do? Are you stating
that machines with the specified hostnames should not run other
services?

You need to decide on the purpose of a potential RFC. What do you want
to achieve?

--
nathanj

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 06:37:05 -0700

> firstname\[email-masked]

huh?  you are to the left of the @, i.e. in the local part, which has
zip to do with the dns.

> - hostname aliases
> I'm not sure if this topic is covered by other RFCs.

and, as this part is the only one that has anything to do with the dns,
i suspect that it is the only one pertinent to this wg

randy

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 16:33:43 +0200

> huh?  you are to the left of the @, i.e. in the local part, which has

well, unless in RRs like SOA, MB, MG, MINFO or RP you have to encode the
local part in a domain name. Especially ``dotted'' addresses in the SOA
RNAME field have been causing problems for years. While in theory you
can put the '.' into the label, escaping its special meaning, in practice
this did (or probably does) often not work due to the way the data flows
from the primary master (through slaves) to the application or user for
final consumption. There are obvious other reasons to recommend not using
a dotted address in e.g. the SOA MNAME but support the 'hostmaster' alias.
However, there's no such reason for a general ban of local parts with '.' as
the draft author proposes.

-Peter

---

From: Kandra Nygårds <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:53:48 +0200

> I'm not sure if this topic is covered by other RFCs.

RFC-2219 covers the DNS-aspect of this draft.

-Kandy