Subject: Domain Name Dynamic Update for IPv6 Mobile Node while away from home.

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:29:02 +0900

Hi folks

I'd like to discuss this document which is still rough and not submitted
yet.
Most of all, I want to listen to DNS folks' opinion.
Could you look into it and response to me ?
If I missed an important point, let me know it.
I attach this document.

	Daniel

  Abstract

  While a mobile node is attached to some foreign link away from home,
  it is addressable at one or more care-of addresses. But the address in
  DNS file is not care-of address but home address. Therefore, whenever
  new correspondent nodes are trying to connect to a mobile node, these
  packets are still gone through a Home Agent by reverse tunneling.
  This document suggests Domain Name Dynamic Update for IPv6 Mobile Node
  while away from home.

==============================================
     Soohong Daniel Park
     Researcher
     Mobile Platform Lab, Samsung electronics
     TEL:+82-31-200-3728  FAX:+82-31-200-3147
     mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 18:07:06 +0900

inline...

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan Wang [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 10:25 AM
To: Soohong Daniel Park; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] Domain Name Dynamic Update for IPv6 Mobile Node
while away from home.

Soohong -

I think you missed an important point, it is called Mobile IPv6 Route
Optimization. The mobile node will detect that a correspondent node's
packets are being tunneled to it by the home agent, and may initiate the
return routability procedure. If return routability is successful, next
the
mobile node creates a binding in the correspondent node that maps the
mobile
node's home address to its current care-of address. At this point, the
correspondent node can send directly to the mobile node at that care-of
address. Mobile IPv6 accomplishes this all transparently at the network
layer, below the application. The application on the correspondent node
is
unaware that the mobile node's home address has changed. 

==> I see, it's a general processing in MIPv6.

There is no need to do any update in the DNS server.

==>um... because of above sentence, all new CN are initiating to the MN
must be gone through reverse tunneling.
 
In fact, what you are proposing is pretty
error-prone: what if the mobile node moves again, and if the application
was
aware of the mobile node's old care-of address (per your dynamic DNS
update), the application will be trying to reach the mobile node at the
wrong address.

==>I don't see what you say. As I said previous mail, this document
concentrates on the new CN is initiating.
      When the MN is moving another link, the MN performs route
optimization as well, so the CN will update binding using new care-of
address.
      You'd better be more careful that if the CN is connecting to MN
away to another link, the CN don't need any other DNS query.

Mobile IPv6 does not handle redirection of packets sent to
the mobile node's old care-of address to route them to its new care-of
address, so any packets the correspondent node sends to the old care-of
address will be lost.

==>above action is not happened, since the CN sends all packets to new
care-of address as well.

	Daniel

Thanks,
Bryan Wang
Elmic Systems, USA

----- Original Message -----
From: "Soohong Daniel Park" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 4:16 AM
Subject: [mobile-ip] Domain Name Dynamic Update for IPv6 Mobile Node
while
away from home.

> Hi all
>
> I'd like to discuss this document which is still rough.
> Most of all, I want to listen to mobileip folks' opinion.

#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.