Subject: Stepping down.

From: Lars-Johan Liman <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Mar 2003 22:35:59 +0100

Folks,

I've been mulling over this for some time, and I've also talked to
some close friends. The outcome is that I've decided that stepping
down is the right thing to do.

Some of my reasoning:

Let ther be no doubt about that I realize that there has been too
little output from and progress in the WG, and that noone else by me
is to blame.

Four years as a chair (time flies, huh? ;-) is more than is good for a
WG, and if there was no other reason, a WG should probably rotate its
chair every few years, just to inject fresh blood. I have also come to
the conclusion that the administrative task of chairing WGs is not
what I do best. I've always _wanted_ to be good at it, that's why I've
kept on going, but I've finally convinced myself that the continous
"caterpillar work" of keeping track of documents, moving forward,
pestering document editors, shaping discussions on mailing lists,
making agendas, scheduling time slots ... they are all things that
others do better. I've always thought "of course I can do
that", and I do admit that I was a bit upset about Randy's initative to
swap chairs when I fired of the last spark trying to rev myself up to
drag my responsibilities out of the clay again, but then I realized
again last night that I shouldn't be a chair for my own sake, but for
the WG's sake, and the WG deserves a chair that does process better
than I do and has better continuity than I have.

Randy is also quite right in that I've been swamped the last years
(keeping Autonmica's/Netnod's machinery on foot during the build-up
has taken a serious toll - and I don't think we're quite done yet),
and for a while I've felt like a car driving up a steep muddy
hill. You work harder and harder, but eventually you reach a point
when your wheels are spinning, but you get nowhere, and finally start
sliding back down.

It is true, however, that the situation at Autonomica is changing for
the better. Funding for IETF work and operations staff have been
improved significantly, so I still hope to be able to contribute more
to the IETF in the not-so-far future, but I need to sit back and
gather some strength, and when I go forward again, I should do it
where I can contribute best, and that is not as a WG chair.

So I will gladly hand the keys over to Rob and Dave, if they're still
willing to take them. Please give them your full support!

Again, I would like to apologize for my bad language (I broke the old
rule to not send e-mail when you're upset), and I also apologize for
sending contradictory messages and being indecisive.  It's another
black spot on my personality, and I can only hope for you forgiveness.

Thanks for all your support and your patience over the years.

And, added for clarity, I honestly have no hard feelings. Randy and I
have cleared our mutual misunderstandings. It took me longer than it
should to reach the above insights, but now its done.

				Best regards,
				  /Liman
                                  Your ex-to-be chair :-)

#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:20:58 -0500

liman,

i understand and sympathize.  no blame, no foul.  you and ray built
and carried this working group for four years (yes, four surprised
me too), and you did well.  much appreciated.

now let's get to work and help rob and dave get a killer agenda
together for sf, and start drafting a new charter.

randy

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:24:34 -0500

Certainly no hard feelings, many thanks to Liman and Ray for much hard
work over many years, and I (and, I'm sure, my co-chair) hope that
both Liman and Ray will remain active in the WG.

More on agenda and charter updates within the next day or so.
#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.