Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-interim-signed-root-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 15:32:08 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name Server Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: An Interim Scheme for Signing the Public DNS Root
	Author(s)	: J. Ihren
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dnsop-interim-signed-root-01.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2003-3-7
	
This memo documents a proposed mechanism for a first stage of a
transition from an unsigned DNS root to a signed root, such that
the data in the root zone is accompanied by DNSSEC signatures to
allow validation.
The underlying reason for signing the root zone is to be able to
provide a more secure DNS hierarchy, where it is possible to
distinguish false answers from correct answers.
For the special case of the DNS root zone, an interim scheme is
proposed. This scheme is mostly aimed at securing the root zone
itself for technical and operational reasons, and to give
operational experience of DNSSEC.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-interim-signed-root-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dnsop-interim-signed-root-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-interim-signed-root-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.