Subject: Are there any ipv6 root servers?

From: "zhang hong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:53:37 +0800

Hello,

Are there any root servers that have ipv6 address and support ipv6 DNS?

I heard that f-root and h-root have supported ipv6, but not sure.
Thanks!

Best Regards

Zhang Hong

#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.

---

From: Doug Barton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 20:13:47 -0700 (PDT)

> Are there any root servers that have ipv6 address and support ipv6 DNS?

This is an easy question to answer for yourself:

$ for i in a b c d e f g h i j k l m ; do
host -t AAAA $i.root-servers.net
done

Doug

-- 
    I'm the kind of man a woman thinks she can change
#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Apr 2003 03:48:18 +0000

> Are there any root servers that have ipv6 address and support ipv6 DNS?

yes.  but the root.cache file, root zone, and root-servers.net zone do not
yet list them.  you can edit your root.cache file locally to add them, but
the information in root.cache is generally only used at nameserver boot time
and won't affect your ongoing operations.

> I heard that f-root and h-root have supported ipv6, but not sure.

so speaketh http://www.root-servers.org/, so it must be true :-).
-- 
Paul Vixie
#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 00:00:10 -0700 (PDT)

% Hello,
% 
% Are there any root servers that have ipv6 address and support ipv6 DNS?
% I heard that f-root and h-root have supported ipv6, but not sure.
% Thanks!

 several do. www.root-servers.org list addresses for f and h
 others have IPv6 addresses but have chosen to not list them on
 that site at this time. 

 there is no formal support for IPv6 transport in the production
 Internet at this time.  It is possible to hand modify the hints
 file to add these records.  There is also a testbed that has native IPv6
 support (and has had for about 5 years), supports IDN lables and 
 DNSSEC signed zones.  www.rs.net  if you want to play

--bill
Opinions expressed may not even be mine by the time you read them, and
certainly don't reflect those of any other entity (legal or otherwise).
#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.

---

From: "zhang hong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:08:13 +0800

Thanks Bill,  Paul,

I have another question.

Some gTLDs and ccTLDs have IPv6 DNS now. While current root zone
doesn't contain IPv6 referral (glue for 'AAAA') for these TLD name servers.

Does this mean TLD IPv6 servers will not be asked in current DNS resolution,
until their IPv6 addresses are added in root zone file?
Thanks!

BRs

Zhang Hong

---

From: Bruce Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 12:08:34 +0200 (CEST)

> until their IPv6 addresses are added in root zone file?

Its the caching issue again.

For example, although 'ns.ripe.net' has a AAAA record only available in
the 'ripe.net' zone, it doesn't get asked over v6 by 'virgin' caches as
the result of a TLD delegation from the root.

However, if the resolver cache has cached the AAAA for 'ns.ripe.net' as a
result of querying a nameserver for 'ripe.net' for something else, then
they do direct further queries over v6 (if they have v6 connectivity of
course), as borne out by looking at the queries received by ns.ripe.net.

Kind regards,

-- 
                             Bruce Campbell                            RIPE
                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B             Operations/Security

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 07:10:31 -0700 (PDT)

that is correct.  if you want to explore native IPv6 resolution, you
 should look at the testbed.  outputs from the testbed are used as input
 to the ICANN process so tht eventually we might see IPv6 support in the
 root.

% Thanks Bill,  Paul,
% 
% I have another question.
% 
% Some gTLDs and ccTLDs have IPv6 DNS now. While current root zone
% doesn't contain IPv6 referral (glue for 'AAAA') for these TLD name servers.
% 
% Does this mean TLD IPv6 servers will not be asked in current DNS resolution,
% until their IPv6 addresses are added in root zone file?
% Thanks!
% 
% BRs
% 
% Zhang Hong
% 
% ----- Original Message -----
% From: "Bill Manning" <[email-masked]>
% To: <[email-masked]>
% Cc: <[email-masked]>
% Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 3:00 PM
% Subject: Re: Are there any ipv6 root servers?
% 
% 
% > % Hello,
% > %
% > % Are there any root servers that have ipv6 address and support ipv6 DNS?
% > % I heard that f-root and h-root have supported ipv6, but not sure.
% > % Thanks!
% >
% >  several do. www.root-servers.org list addresses for f and h
% >  others have IPv6 addresses but have chosen to not list them on
% >  that site at this time.
% >
% >  there is no formal support for IPv6 transport in the production
% >  Internet at this time.  It is possible to hand modify the hints
% >  file to add these records.  There is also a testbed that has native IPv6
% >  support (and has had for about 5 years), supports IDN lables and
% >  DNSSEC signed zones.  www.rs.net  if you want to play
% >
% >
% > --bill
% > Opinions expressed may not even be mine by the time you read them, and
% > certainly don't reflect those of any other entity (legal or otherwise).
% > #----------------------------------------------------------------------
% > # To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.
% 
% 
% #----------------------------------------------------------------------
% # To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.
% 

-- 
--bill

---

From: "J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:56:55 +0200

>  to the ICANN process so tht eventually we might see IPv6 support in the

In working on the dot-root test bed concept and on my attempt of a global 
name space draft, I came across perspectives supporting the different 
adressing schemes: internet, telephone, domotic, radio/TV frequencies 
(channels), postal adressing/EDI, Teletex, telematics as a single 
homogenous continuity. With a DNS consistent semantic (but based on user 
centric and on multilateral concepts as well as on the domain hierarchy). 
It seems it is not so far from the initial "internetting" 1973 specs, 1978 
intl file organization, 83/86 namespace/X121 support, SMS usage, user 
demands. Obviously the name server system would use a quite different 
structure (BTW free from DoS) but Bind would still work the same. Yet 
security/stability could be simplified, increased and/or differently adressed?

Nothing formalized yet and by far. But I would be interested to know if 
some works are/were carried into such directions? I was told there was an 
attempt by the DoD to integrate X121 at a given time? Were could I get an 
ENUM situation brief? Thanks to anyone with suggestions/comments.
jfc

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>Version: 6.0.463 / Virus Database: 262 - Release Date: 17/03/03