Subject: RE: Sense of the WG on DNS discovery

From: "BELOEIL Luc FTRD/DMI/CAE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 18:01:21 +0100

Hi all, 

> -----Message d'origine-----
> De : Rob Austein [mailto:[email-masked]]
> 
> 
> At Fri, 07 Nov 2003 06:46:19 +0900, Masataka Ohta wrote:
> > 
> 
> I still think there's a difference in the default query propegation
> behavior for a badly configured network, if that's what you're asking.
> Whether that's relevant to anything the WG cares about is for the WG
> to decide.
> 

Rob, I do think that "badly configured network" is an operational issue.
Is your point that "this possibility" is more dangerous than possible
operational issues of other methods, and thus you think that well-known
address method should not be used ? I hope I'm clear... I'm trying to
understand ;+)

regards,
Luc

#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:56:02 -0500

> Rob, I do think that "badly configured network" is an operational issue.

Right.

> address method should not be used ? I hope I'm clear... I'm trying to

Stipulating that opinions differ on whether this is a serious issue,
and that I'm only writing about this again because Luc asked me for
clarification:

Yes, the concern was about fault isolation.  One can do damage with
any mechanism if one tries hard enough, but I do see a difference
between mechanisms in which dumb mistakes tend to aggregate and
mechanisms in which they do not.  In both cases I assume that the
users directly affected are unhappy, the question is how much
collateral damage there is to the larger network.  YMMV.
#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.