Subject: [dnsop] dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues: references and doc organization

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:04:44 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

Thomas Narten provided extensive feedbakc on 
draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues at IESG evaluation, and I've tried to 
address his comments (see the I-D tracker) in:

http://www.netcore.fi/pekkas/ietf/temp/draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues-08pre-diff.html
http://www.netcore.fi/pekkas/ietf/temp/draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues-08pre.txt

but there are still a few where it might be useful to get feedback 
from the WG.

The two relatively simpler issues were:

 1. Document organization.  The document is a bit long and a bit "raw"  
in some areas.  One way to try to fix that would be trying to separate
some subjects to new I-Ds, just summarize them here, and wait for
their completion.  Such possible subjects could be e.g., the issues
with DDNS (about 5-6 pages), or the TTL/additional data issues.  I'm a
bit hesitant to do that because the overall length would not 
decrease.. but if we want to split off something, DDNS would be IMHO 
the best candidate..

Thoughts?

 2. References.  Only few were normative (normative ones block the 
publication of the document until the normative ones are published), 
required for the understanding of the document.

I've increased the number of normative documents to a lot, with still 
Internet-drafts being:

   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-configuration]
   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-ipv6-transport-guidelines]
   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-misbehavior-against-aaaa]
   [I-D.ietf-ipv6-deprecate-site-local]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-application-transition]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-renumbering-procedure]

I've kept these as informative due to various reasons -- some of them 
are just providing additional information, and some have gotten stuck 
in the process and waiting doesn't seem justified.  I've marked with 
a star those I-D's which I think would be particularly useful to have 
as normative but might take too long to get complete:

   [I-D.durand-v6ops-natpt-dns-alg-issues]
   [I-D.huitema-v6ops-teredo]
   [I-D.huston-6to4-reverse-dns]  *
   [I-D.ietf-dhc-ddns-resolution]
   [I-D.ietf-dhc-fqdn-option]
   [I-D.ietf-dnsext-dhcid-rr]   
   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-bad-dns-res]   *
   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-dontpublish-unreachable]  *
   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required]  *
   [I-D.ietf-ipseckey-rr]
   [I-D.ietf-ipv6-unique-local-addr]
   [I-D.ietf-send-cga]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-3gpp-analysis]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-mech-v2]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-onlinkassumption]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-v6onbydefault]
   [I-D.jeong-dnsop-ipv6-dns-discovery]
   [I-D.moore-6to4-dns]
   [I-D.ohta-preconfigured-dns]
   [I-D.savola-v6ops-6bone-mess]
   [RFC2766] (NAT-PT)
   [RFC2826] (IAB comment on unique DNS root)
   [RFC3704] Ingress Filtering (update)

Thoughts?  Comments?

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html