Subject: Re: [dnsop] WGLC for "IPv6 Host Configuration of DNS Server Information Approaches"

From: Jaehoon Jeong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 08:36:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

First of all, I sincerely appreciate your contribution
to this draft.

I'd like to give you a revised version of "IPv6 Host
Configuration of DNS Server Information Approaches":

http://www.adhoc.6ants.net/~paul/publications/ietf-internet-draft/draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-configuration-02.txt

On this version, I think, I have reflected your
comments and suggestions. If there is anything
omitted, please let me know it. :-)

The noticeable changes are as follows:

1. For Normative Reference Problem, I have moved RA
option and Well-known anycast addresses approach
drafts into Informative References section.

2. I have unified Recursive DNS Server as RDNSS
instead of DNS server. In some cases, I let "DNS
server" be used for context.

If this version is ok to you, I'll submit it to IETF.

Thanks.

Paul

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 
.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:23:17 +0900

Jaehoon Jeong;

Hi,

Attached is my suggestion of modification reflecting the fact that
ND runs poorly over WLAN.

						Masataka Ohta
--
In 3.1,

   Through ND protocol and RDNSS 
   option along with prefix information option, an IPv6 host can 
   perform its network configuration of its IPv6 address and RDNSS 
   simultaneously [3][4].  The RA option for RDNSS can be used on any 
+  network that supports the use of ND.  However, RA approach performs
+  poorly in some wireless environment where RA message is used for 
+  IPv6 address autoconfiguration, such as WLAN networks. 
 
+  The RA approach is useful in some non-WLAN mobile environments where the 
   addresses of the RDNSSes are changing because the RA option 
   includes a lifetime field.  This can be configured to a value that 
   will require the client to time out the entry and switch over to 
   another RDNSS address [8]. 

+  4) This mechanism does not work over a broad range of scenarios and 
+  leverages IPv6 ND.  It works well on links that support broadcast reliably 
+  (e.g., Ethernet LANs) but not necessarily on other links (e.g., wireless LANs).
+
   5) The RA approach could be used as a model for other similar types

3.1.3 Observations 
    
   The proposed RDNSS RA option along with IPv6 ND and Auto-
   configuration allows a host to obtain all of the information it 
   needs to access basic Internet services like the web, email, ftp, 
   etc.  This is preferable in environments where hosts use RAs to 
   autoconfigure their addresses and all hosts on the subnet share the
+  same router and server addresses.  It is preferable if the 
   configuration information can be obtained from a single mechanism, 
   it does not add additional delay, and it uses a minimum of 
+  bandwidth. Environments like this may include homes, public cellular
+  networks, and enterprise environments where 
+  no per host configuration is needed but excludes public WLAN hot spots, 

.