Subject: [dnsop] dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues: references and doc organization (fwd)

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 00:55:22 +0300 (EEST)

FYI -- resend. (with a slight update below.)

1. do we want to split off some sections to separate document(s), for 
example Forward or Reverse DNS updating?  We'd still need to wait for 
such a draft to finish, though.

2. are there references which are not normative which we should wait 
for? (i.e., important references, which we should wait for if they 
aren't RFCs already)  Thomas asked us to sit down and think real hard 
about this.

Please provide feedback.  If you agree with the current approach, feel
free to send a note off-list if you don't want to spam the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:04:44 +0300 (EEST)
From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [dnsop] dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues: references and doc organization

Hi,

Thomas Narten provided extensive feedbakc on 
draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues at IESG evaluation, and I've tried to 
address his comments (see the I-D tracker) in:

[ http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues-08.txt ]

but there are still a few where it might be useful to get feedback 
from the WG.

The two relatively simpler issues were:

 1. Document organization.  The document is a bit long and a bit "raw"  
in some areas.  One way to try to fix that would be trying to separate
some subjects to new I-Ds, just summarize them here, and wait for
their completion.  Such possible subjects could be e.g., the issues
with DDNS (about 5-6 pages), or the TTL/additional data issues.  I'm a
bit hesitant to do that because the overall length would not 
decrease.. but if we want to split off something, DDNS would be IMHO 
the best candidate..

Thoughts?

 2. References.  Only few were normative (normative ones block the 
publication of the document until the normative ones are published), 
required for the understanding of the document.

I've increased the number of normative documents to a lot, with still 
Internet-drafts being:

   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-configuration]
   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-ipv6-transport-guidelines]
   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-misbehavior-against-aaaa]
   [I-D.ietf-ipv6-deprecate-site-local]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-application-transition]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-renumbering-procedure]

I've kept these as informative due to various reasons -- some of them 
are just providing additional information, and some have gotten stuck 
in the process and waiting doesn't seem justified.  I've marked with 
a star those I-D's which I think would be particularly useful to have 
as normative but might take too long to get complete:

   [I-D.durand-v6ops-natpt-dns-alg-issues]
   [I-D.huitema-v6ops-teredo]
   [I-D.huston-6to4-reverse-dns]  *
   [I-D.ietf-dhc-ddns-resolution]
   [I-D.ietf-dhc-fqdn-option]
   [I-D.ietf-dnsext-dhcid-rr]   
   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-bad-dns-res]   *
   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-dontpublish-unreachable]  *
   [I-D.ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required]  *
   [I-D.ietf-ipseckey-rr]
   [I-D.ietf-ipv6-unique-local-addr]
   [I-D.ietf-send-cga]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-3gpp-analysis]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-mech-v2]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-onlinkassumption]
   [I-D.ietf-v6ops-v6onbydefault]
   [I-D.jeong-dnsop-ipv6-dns-discovery]
   [I-D.moore-6to4-dns]
   [I-D.ohta-preconfigured-dns]
   [I-D.savola-v6ops-6bone-mess]
   [RFC2766] (NAT-PT)
   [RFC2826] (IAB comment on unique DNS root)
   [RFC3704] Ingress Filtering (update)

Thoughts?  Comments?

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html

.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html