Subject: Re: [dnsop] Comments on draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-05.txt

From: Daniel Senie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:43:48 -0500

At 07:13 AM 10/4/2004, Olaf M. Kolkman wrote:
>Hello Daniel,
>
>In "draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-05.txt" you write:
>
>    RIPE appears to have the strongest policy in this area [ripe-185]
>    indicating Local Internet Registries are required to perform
>    IN-ADDR services, and delegate those as appropriate when address
>    blocks are delegated.
>
>
>RIPE-185 has been obsoleted
>
>The correct reference is to RIPE NCCs reverse delegation policy is
>
>  RIPE-302: Policy for Reverse Address Delegation of IPv4 and IPv6
>  Address Space in the RIPE NCC Service Region,
>  (http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/rev-del.html)
>
>
>There are no "requirements" for Local Internet Registries in this,
>or any other of our policy documents.
>
>To the suggestion that
>
>    Regional Registries and any Local Registries to whom they delegate
>    SHOULD establish and convey a policy to those to whom they delegate
>    blocks that IN-ADDR mappings are required.  Policies SHOULD require
>    those receiving delegations to provide IN-ADDR service and/or
>    delegate to downstream customers..
>
>Formally Regional Registries do not set policy, it is the community
>that does so in a bottom up process. Besides these kind of policies
>are hard to enforce. This is one of the reason that RIPE 302
>essentially reads that the RIPE NCC provide the reverse delegation
>service to the relevant LIRs, nothing more and nothing less.

While I personally disagree that the regional registries do not set policy 
(being a consumer of one and having had to follow a set of policies to 
obtain portable space), I have nontheless adjusted the text to indicate 
they should provide delegation services and encourage downstream registries 
to do the same.

>In other words this is one of the places where the normative language
>is orthogonal to reality. When the normative language is dropped the
>document is much more useful as it can be used as a reference when
>"we" are trying to convince folk that enabling reverse delegation is
>actually a good idea.
>
>I have difficulties with coming up with a good suggestion for text that
>would capture that.

Review the latest and let me know what else needs to be adjusted.

>-- Olaf Kolkman
>    New Projects, RIPE NCC
>
>---------------------------------| Olaf M. Kolkman
>---------------------------------| RIPE NCC
>
>.
>dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
>web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
>mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html

.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html