Subject: [dnsop] Tangible harm caused by in-addr-required draft

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:27:03 -0500 (EST)

The following is a message from the maintainer of the adns project.

The adns project's claim to fame is that it has a "correctly" operating 
resolver. So I tested this. It won't return inverse lookup information 
unless forward exactly matches reverse. (in-addr already required, 
according to the adns author):

./adnshost_s -i 130.105.11.50
50.11.105.130.in-addr.arpa PTR relay1.av8.net
[dean@dakota client]$ ./adnshost_s -i 130.105.11.51
Error during DNS PTR lookup for 51.11.105.130.in-addr.arpa: Inconsistent 
resource records in DNS

The author doesn't think that this is a problem with the resolver.

dig -x 130.105.11.50
;; ANSWER SECTION:
50.11.105.130.in-addr.arpa. 3600 IN	PTR	relay1.av8.net.

dig -x 130.105.11.51
;; ANSWER SECTION:
51.11.105.130.in-addr.arpa. 3600 IN	PTR	h-130-105-11-51.av8.net.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:47:22 +0000
From: Ian Jackson <[email-masked]>
To: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Reverse lookup wrong

Dean Anderson writes ("Reverse lookup wrong"):
> So, my question is this:  Is this an honest mistake on your part? Or are
> you subscriber to the said religion?  I don't want to debate the merits of
> the religion, but just want to know whether or not you are a member.

Your question is posed in offensive terms.  Do you always approach
strangers this way ?

If you want to be able to retrieve bogus data, you can use the
adns_r_ptr_raw lookup type.

Ian.

.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html