Subject: [dnsop] comments on draft-fujiwara-dnsop-{bad-dns-auth-02,transport-issue-00}

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:37:25 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

A couple of notes taken on a flight, on 
draft-fujiwara-dnsop-bad-dns-auth-02 and 
draft-fujiwara-dnsop-dns-transport-issue-00.

There are a number of issues in the text and spec (just one detail: in
dns-auth-02, if the authoritative DNS server admins ensure that there aren't
RRsets which would result in the use of TCP, maybe it doesn't need to be
enabled?).

However, the bigger issue is IMHO that the documents are not sufficiently
clear and focused:
  - what are the real problems?
  - what are the drafts intending to do about it? (if I'd have to guess, I'd
guess that they intend to make recommendations and implementation
requirements for DNS servers and DNS server administrators)

Doing this might make sense, but based on these two, I'm not yet seeing the
"big picture" what kind of advice or specification we need to tell and to
whom -- and what is the right place to do that.

As it is, currently these seem to be rather unfocused list of issues 
and some recommendations, without any clear structure or "high level" 
perspective.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings
.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html