Subject: [dnsop] DOP #2: MINIMUM TTL ambiguity

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:06:32 +0200

Also see thread starting at:
  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/msg03465.html

> >----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >
> >>>  #   o  "Maximum/Minimum Zone TTL"
> >>  #         The maximum or minimum value of the TTLs from the complete set
> >>  #         of RRs in a zone.
> >>
> >>  This has nothing to do with the last number in the SOA RR, right?  Right?
> >>
> >
> >Correct you take all the TTL values in the zone and take the minimum
> >and the maximum of that set. Is the text that is there now ambiguous?
> 
> The problem is this text from 1035:
> 
> #RFC 1035        Domain Implementation and Specification    November 1987
> #
> #MINIMUM         The unsigned 32 bit minimum TTL field that should be
> #                exported with any RR from this zone.
> 
> Maybe you should make an explicit reference that the Minimum Zone TTL 
> may be less that the MINIMUM field in the SOA RR.
> 

Proposed text:
 o  "Maximum/Minimum Zone TTL"
     The maximum or minimum value of the TTLs from the complete set
     of RRs in a zone. Note that the minumum TTL is not the same as the 
     MINIMUL field in the SOA RR.

-- Olaf

---------------------------------| Olaf M. Kolkman
---------------------------------| RIPE NCC
---------------------------------| JID: olaf at jabber.secret-wg.org
.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html