Subject: [dnsop] BCP0123 RFC 4697 on Observed DNS Resolution Misbehavior

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:00:00 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP0123        
        RFC 4697

        Title:      Observed DNS Resolution Misbehavior 
        Author:      M. Larson, P. Barber
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       October 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 45187
        Updates:    
        See-Also:   BCP0123

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-bad-dns-res-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4697.txt

This memo describes DNS iterative resolver behavior that results in a
significant query volume sent to the root and top-level domain (TLD)
name servers.  We offer implementation advice to iterative resolver
developers to alleviate these unnecessary queries.  The
recommendations made in this document are a direct byproduct of
observation and analysis of abnormal query traffic patterns seen at
two of the thirteen root name servers and all thirteen com/net TLD
name servers.  This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations
Working Group of the IETF.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html