Subject: Re: [dnsop] ISSUES:draft-ietf-dnsop-reverse-mapping-considerations-00.txt

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:19:03 -0400

Colleagues,

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 03:05:46PM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> <https://rt.psg.com/Ticket/Display.html?id=682>.

Someone asked me about the authentication request there.  It's a
general IETF tracker, and I was under the (maybe mistaken) impression
its use was common.  In any case, all you need to know is at

<http://rt.psg.com/>

A

-- 
----
Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
Afilias Canada                        Toronto, Ontario Canada
<[email-masked]>                              M2P 2A8
                                        +1 416 646 3304 x4110

.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:05:46 -0400

Dear colleagues,

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 08:28:04AM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> outstanding issues.  I'll post a new list of open issues in the near
> future; in the meantime, any feedback will be gratefully received.

Perhaps the word "near" there was a symptom of unjustified optimism.
In any case, today I updated the tracker for the draft (I used the
original ticket in RT for this, and haven't changed the subject.  I
can change it, however, if it appears to anyone that the reference to
the old filename will cause another tangent).  It is available at
<https://rt.psg.com/Ticket/Display.html?id=682>.

At the bottom of this message I've included a reference to the list I
compiled some time ago of what I took to be then-open issues.  I
_think_ the re-issue addressed all of them, plus the problem of the
filename itself.  Discussion of that is in the tracker, above, but if
anyone requests it, I'm happy to send a discussion to the list.  In
the meantime, as far as I can tell, there are only the following
issues, which I'll name here, and explicate in individual threads to
follow this message:

* Issue 5: Section 4 requirements of RIRs.

* Issue 8: The document perhaps should be IPv* neutral

* Issue 9: The discussion of RIPE policy is confusing

* Issue 10: The IANA considerations should discuss RFC 3330/RFC 1918
space.

If you have other issues, please do raise them.  I think we can have
answers for all the above prior to IETF-67, but if there are other
issues, I'd like to know about them.

Best regards,

A

ps: previous issues list:

http://www.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/msg03661.html

.

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:19:16 +0900

(continued from a separate thread, resending from a different address)

>>>>> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:05:46 -0400, 
>>>>> Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]> said:

> issues, I'd like to know about them.

I'm afraid this version of draft does not fully address one
fundamental issue.  It first explains troubles in the use of reverse
mappings (Section 3), and then suddenly recommends maintaining the
mapping in Section 4.1.  If I did not know the past controversy
regarding this document, I'd be confused here, and ask why this
document the deployment of the reverse mappings.  I can think of
possible answers:

A. in order to support operators who heavily rely on reverse mappings
   for authentication or other security purposes, even though we know
   reverse mappings provide "no real security" (quoted from the
   draft).
B. because reverse mappings can be a useful hint in some cases (e.g.,
   in traceroute output)

In either case (including "the answer is something else"), I believe
this draft should clarify this 'why', and explain it at the beginning
of Section 4.  Also, if the answer is B, I personally think we should
discourage such reliance more strongly.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html