Subject: [dnsop] ISSUE 5:reverse-mapping-considerations: sec 4

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:11:08 -0400

ISSUE
=====

The current draft says the following:

        Regional Registries and any Local Registries to whom they
        delegate SHOULD establish and convey a policy to those to
        whom they delegate blocks that IN-ADDR mappings are required. 
        Policies SHOULD require those receiving delegations to
        provide IN-ADDR service, to delegate to downstream customers,
        or both.

An obection to this is that RIRs don't actually have the authority to
require reverse mapping, so the document shouldn't say that. 

PROPSAL
=======

The proposal is to change "require" and its cognates to "encourage"
and its cognates, to yield this:

        Regional Registries and any Local Registries to whom they
        delegate SHOULD establish and convey a policy to those to
        whom they delegate blocks that IN-ADDR mappings are
        encouraged.  Policies SHOULD encourage those receiving
        delegations to provide IN-ADDR service, to delegate to
        downstream customers, or both.

A

-- 
----
Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
Afilias Canada                        Toronto, Ontario Canada
<[email-masked]>                              M2P 2A8
                                        +1 416 646 3304 x4110

.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html