Subject: [DNSOP] review of draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-under-attack-help-help-00

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:13:10 +0100

In section 6,

      service (DoS) attack.  In some case the source ports used by

I suggest the author intended either 'in some cases' or 'in one case',
and I would like to submit my claim at this time for the "Joe Abley's
Typographical Error of the Year" trophy.

I note that the document has failed to capture the angst and
bitterness of the authors' cumulative lifetimes spent answering
phonecalls from people who think as112 is 'haxing their base'.

This is a feature.

I am concerned that the document as read is appropriate for an
IETF audience, rather than the target audience (people who think
they are under attack).  The ~16 year old voice-cracking operator
of a network of several hundred desktops in Dallas I spoke with
most recently would not get past page 1 before being distracted, and
most certainly would not be able to read the 4 options described in
section 7 and understand that the draft is actually recommending
only one of them, and not the first one.

Or maybe I don't give him enough credit.

Anyway, the point is I'm not really sure this is something I
would have used to explain the situation when I did field those
phonecalls.  It's quicker to give the short explanation, using
small words, than to field a second phonecall later.  I certainly
would have been able to use this as additional information to
support may 'claims' that I am not a 'hax', but would still have
done the usual "here's what's wrong, and here's how to fix it"
spiel.

Honestly, the biggest timesink in these calls is just getting
the caller to stop talking long enough to answer.

One major point about prisoner.iana.org (covered in the other
as112-ops document) is that people who complain about
prisoner.iana.org are sending what is coloquially referred
to (among the target audience) as 'updates', not 'queries'.

I think this point is missing from this document (or I missed
it), and without it I don't think the target audience can be
convinced that they are doing something to cause the responses
from prisoner.

But, there is nothing factually wrong in this document, and my
opinion of it is positive overall.

I recognize that the above are matters of personal preference or
taste, and would not be moved to object if the authors disagree.

-- 
David W. Hankins	"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer		you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.	-- Jack T. Hankins
_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop