Subject: [DNSOP] Document Action: 'Requirements for a Mechanism Identifying a Name Server Instance' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:17:12 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Requirements for a Mechanism Identifying a Name Server Instance '
   <draft-ietf-dnsop-serverid-08.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are David Kessens and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-serverid-08.txt

Technical Summary
 
 This document explains a current convention for identifying
 a particular name server out of a set of servers in an anycast
 cloud or behind a load balancer. It explains key disadvantages
 of this practice and discusses a set of requirements for an
 improved mechanism.
 
Working Group Summary
 
 This document evolved from a purely documenting informational
 draft into a requirements document after the WG determined that
 a single dedicated DNS based information query had operational
 disadvantages.  There was some discussion about splitting the
 documentation part and the requirements part, but the WG decided
 to keep it as is.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 David Kessens reviewed this document for the IESG.
 The DNS RR based convention as documented in this draft has been
 supported by multiple vendors of DNS server software.

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop