Subject: [DNSOP] Review of draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-ops-01

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 17:12:31 +0200

As promised in Philadelphia, here is my review of
draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-ops-01.

Basically, the document is, IMHO, ready for publication. Although it
is not crystal clear in the document itself (I regret it), it
describes the *current* practices of AS112 operators and regards as
off-topic the future changes to these practices (such as the adoption
of RFC 5001 to replace hostname.as112.net).

AS 112 is an important part of the Internet infrastructure and
certainly deserves a documentation. This one is well-written and seems
complete (disclaimer: I do not operate an AS112 node and I tried the
instructions only in the lab)

Editorial issues:

2.2 : may be mentioning the IP addresses of the name servers is
useless (and may be problematic, should they change)? I understand
their usefulness in actual zone files present in the RFC but not here.

3.4 : the router ID given as an example should really come from RFC
3330 instead

4.1 : an issue I reported in my June 2007 review has not been
addressed, apparently: 

The I-D does not say if the operator should monitor the public IP
address (which requires a monitor in the BGP "drainage basin") or the
"private", the management one. (Without practical experience of
anycast, I cannot suggest a response.)

7 : "The deployment ... are very loosely coordinated" should be "is
very loosely coordinated".

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop