Subject: [DNSOP] RFC4641bis-00: start of a journey.

From: Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 12:27:24 +0100

Dear Colleagues,

I've just posted draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc4641bis-00.txt, it should appear  
in the repository real soon.

What follows is non-technical, just some administration this version  
and how I will proceed.

The document is essentially a copy of RFC4641 with the following  
changes (as taken from Appendix D):

D.1.  draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc4641-00

    Version 0 was differs from RFC4641 in the following ways.

    o  Status of this memo appropriate for I-D

    o  TOC formatting differs.

    o  Whitespaces, linebreaks, and pagebreaks may be slightly different
       because of xml2rfc generation.

    o  References slightly reordered.

    o  Applied the errata from
       http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=4641

    o  Inserted trivial "IANA considertations" section.

    In other words it should not contain substantive changes in content
    as intended by the workinggroup for the original RFC4641.

For a detailed diff see:
http://tools.ietf.org//rfcdiff?url1=http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4641.txt&url2=http://www.secret-wg.org/draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc4641bis-00.txt
which is a diff between the RFC and the version I've just submitted.

The reason why it took so long for this document to be submitted was  
that I wanted to wait for the IPR issues to be sorted out. This  
document definitely contained contributions from 3rd parties on which  
both Me, my previous employer, Miek, and his previous employer, could  
not make any copyright statements about.

I have been working on a version 1 of this document which I plan to  
post before the document cut off and where some of the open issues  
will have straw-man text. With this version 00 in hand it should be  
fairly easy to use the IETF diff tools to track further changes.

For the current list of open issues see: http://open.nlnetlabs.nl/svn/rfc4641bis/trunk/open-issues/
each open issue has its own file with a description and references.

More as soon as I've published version 1, hopefully by the end of this  
week.

--Olaf