Subject: [DNSOP] RFC 6168 on Requirements for Management of Name Servers for the DNS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 17:19:37 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6168

        Title:      Requirements for Management of Name 
                    Servers for the DNS 
        Author:     W. Hardaker
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 36679
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-name-server-management-reqs-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6168.txt

Management of name servers for the Domain Name System (DNS) has
traditionally been done using vendor-specific monitoring,
configuration, and control methods.  Although some service monitoring
platforms can test the functionality of the DNS itself, there is not
an interoperable way to manage (monitor, control, and configure) the
internal aspects of a name server itself.

This document discusses the requirements of a management system for
name servers and can be used as a shopping list of needed features
for such a system.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track 
specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC