Subject: Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-perreault-dnsop-stats-mib-00.txt

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 13:02:05 +0200

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 05:46:44AM -0700,
 [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 33 lines which said:

> 	Title           : DNS Server Statistics Management Information Base (MIB)

A mention of RFC 3197, and an explicit answer to the questions it
raises, seems necessary to me.

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 07:34:37 -0400

> raises, seems necessary to me.

Will be added in the next revision.

It will be along the lines of "what we're doing is much more simple and 
focused". This MIB is about simple read-only counters of which many 
servers already provide at least a subset, and for which home-grown 
bindings into SNMP agents (using Perl scripts and such) already exist in 
various forms. So to some extent we're standardizing existing practice, 
which wasn't the case for RFCs 1611 and 1612. And there are already 
plans and preliminary code for such a DNS MIB in Bind 10.

Simon
-- 
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0               --> http://www.vcarddav.org