Subject: [DNSOP] Advisory — D-root is changing its IPv4 address on the 3rd of January.

From: Jason Castonguay <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:54:41 -0500

Advisory — D-root is changing its IPv4 address on the 3rd of January.

This is advance notice that there is a scheduled change to the IPv4
address for one of the authorities listed for the DNS root zone and
the .ARPA TLD. The change is to D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET, which is
administered by the University of Maryland.

The new IPv4 address for this authority is 199.7.91.13

The current IPv6 address for this authority is  2001:500:2d::d and it
will continue to remain unchanged.

This change is anticipated to be implemented in the root zone on 3
January 2013, however the new address is currently operational. It
will replace the previous IP address of 128.8.10.90 (also once known
as TERP.UMD.EDU).

We encourage operators of DNS infrastructure to update any references
to the old IP address, and replace it with the new address. In
particular, many DNS resolvers have a DNS root “hints” file. This
should be updated with the new IP address.

New hints files will be available at the following URLs once the
change has been formally executed:

http://www.internic.net/domain/named.root

http://www.internic.net/domain/named.cache

The old address will continue to work for at least six months after
the transition, but will ultimately be retired from service.

- -- 
Jason Castonguay

Network Integration Software Engineer
Division of Information Technology
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742