Subject: [DNSOP] [[email-masked]: BCP 187, RFC 7227 on Guidelines for Creating New DHCPv6 Options]

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 08:18:41 +0200

The issues described in this RFC seem very close from the issues of
new DNS RR types (reusing elements of previous formats, to avoid
creating a parser from scratch, thinking in advance of implementation
considerations, to increase the chances of atcual deployment,
considering the end systems - provisioning and consumption - not only
what goes on the wire, etc).

A very good reading, IMHO.

Subject: BCP 187, RFC 7227 on Guidelines for Creating New DHCPv6 Options
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 17:08:09 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: "IETF announcement list. No discussions." <ietf-announce.ietf.org>

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 187        
        RFC 7227

        Title:      Guidelines for Creating New DHCPv6 
                    Options 
        Author:     D. Hankins, T. Mrugalski,
                    M. Siodelski, S. Jiang,
                    S. Krishnan
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      35
        Characters: 83694
        Updates:    RFC 3315
        See Also:   BCP 187

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines-17.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7227.txt

This document provides guidance to prospective DHCPv6 option
developers to help them create option formats that are easily
adoptable by existing DHCPv6 software.  It also provides guidelines
for expert reviewers to evaluate new registrations.  This document
updates RFC 3315.

This document is a product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC