Subject: Re: [DNSOP] draft-mglt-dnsop-search-list-processing-00.txt

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 12:36:40 +0200

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 09:41:10PM +0200,
 Daniel Migault <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 63 lines which said:

> Please find draft-mglt-dnsop-search-list-processing-00.txt [1] 

> a single label that is 63 characters or less, starts with a letter,
> ends with a letter or digit, and has as interior characters only
> letters, digits, and hyphen as defined by [RFC1035].

Why this restriction, which is *not* in RFC 1035. "_tcp" is not a
single label?

> In addition, fall backs resolution between these two categories will
> happen and MUST be address by administrator before any new gTLD.

It seems to be a policy decision and not suitable for a RFC.

> For Unqualified Domain Names, the resolver MUST proceed to the
> resolution using search list.  If the resolution fails, returning a
> NXDOMAIN, no attempt SHOULD be done to resolve it as an Qualified
> Domain Name.

The second sentence is a protocol change and should not be done
lightly. Frankly, I see no reason to forbid single-label domain names
to work. (Whatever ICANN may say.)

>   This section provides a small command line that tests which TLD has
>   an A or a AAAA RRset.

May be a mention of RFC 7085 here? It has a similar script and similar
results.

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 22:32:46 +1000

> to work. (Whatever ICANN may say.)

It's not forbidding single label domain names.  It's forbidding
searches crossing administrative boundaries.  Has anything really
changed since RFC 1535 was published to make that *safe*?

Have 'COM' or '.' in the search list was bad when RFC 1535 was
published.  Nothing has made having either of them in a search list
any better since.  With the opening up of '.' to more players has
made it worse.

> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 14:51:34 +0200

On Wed, May 07, 2014 at 10:32:46PM +1000,
 Mark Andrews <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 52 lines which said:

> It's not forbidding single label domain names. 

It does and it is explicit about it:

  These rules do not make possible the resolution of TLD as Single-
   Label Domain Name.