Subject: [DNSOP] Document Action: 'AS112 Nameserver Operations' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc6304bis-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 07:34:18 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'AS112 Nameserver Operations'
  (draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc6304bis-06.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc6304bis/

Technical Summary

  Many sites connected to the Internet make use of IPv4 addresses that
   are not globally-unique.  Examples are the addresses designated in
   RFC 1918 for private use within individual sites.

   Devices in such environments may occasionally originate Domain Name
   System (DNS) queries (so-called "reverse lookups") corresponding to
   those private-use addresses.  Since the addresses concerned have only
   local significance, it is good practice for site administrators to
   ensure that such queries are answered locally.  However, it is not
   uncommon for such queries to follow the normal delegation path in the
   public DNS instead of being answered within the site.

   It is not possible for public DNS servers to give useful answers to
   such queries.  In addition, due to the wide deployment of private-use
   addresses and the continuing growth of the Internet, the volume of
   such queries is large and growing.  The AS112 project aims to provide
   a distributed sink for such queries in order to reduce the load on
   the corresponding authoritative servers.  The AS112 project is named
   after the Autonomous System Number (ASN) that was assigned to it.

   RFC6304 described the steps required to install a new AS112 node, and
   offered advice relating to such a node's operation.  This document
   updates that advice to facilitate the addition and removal of zones
   for which query traffic will be sunk at AS112 nodes, using DNAME,
   whilst still supporting direct delegations to AS112 name servers.

Working Group Summary

   Since this document was an update of RFC 6304, the point was
   raised that the Internet had changed some and that there were
   better mechanisms to aid in these configurations. Specially
   around IPv6 transport, and also to allow for using DNAME.  The
   outcome of this discussion was draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname-03.

Document Quality

   Are there existing implementations of the protocol?  Have a 
   The document updates an existing RFC that has gone through the
   IETF RFC editorial process and is reflecting changing best
   practices. Therefore existing implementations exist, and have
   been observed for some time.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd is Tim Wicinski.

   The dnsop working group chairs are Tim Wicinski and Suzanne
   Woolf.

   The Area Director is Joel Jaggeli.