Subject: Re: [DNSOP] [Qname minimisation] Tony Finch's algorithm on zone cut finding implemented

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 18:47:48 +0100

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 10:00:33AM -0800,
 Paul Vixie <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 894 lines which said:

> fwiw, "dig +trace" has had this code in it for at least ten
> years. (and may serve as prior art for anyone who wants to challenge
> the above patent.)

As far as I see, dig +trace does not do qname minimisation, just zone
cut discovery.

For instance, here, when looking for www.icann.org, the Afilias name
server 2001:500:e::1 received the full qname:

12:15:33.197574 IP6 2a01:e35:8bd9:8bb0:21e:8cff:fe76:29b6.55045 > 2001:500:e::1.53: 1090 [1au] A? www.icann.org. (42)

The McPherson/Verisign patent seems (IANAL) to be about qname
minimisation, not zone cut discovery.

---

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 11:54:26 +0000

Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> For those who want to play with the zone cuts (finding them is
> necessary for qname minimisation), here is a simple implementation of
> appendix A of draft-ietf-dnsop-qname-minimisation-01:

Gosh, I forgot I wrote that! Thanks for using it. Here's a link to the
original message:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dns-privacy/current/msg00035.html

Tony.
-- 
f.anthony.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/
Southeast Iceland: Cyclonic 5 to 7, becoming variable 4. Rough or very rough.
Rain or snow. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.