Subject: [DNSOP] DNS terminology draft

From: Dave Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 18:02:34 -0400

Paul, would you consider adding something like these, with whatever
modifications seem necessary?  Maybe under Resource Records, since
that is where OPT is.

One thing that has been experience by many of us in different
organizations, and which actually has shown its head within
discussions with IETF people this week who are not in the DNS
community, is that they very, very commonly think of the EDNS
client-subnet option as being "EDNS0".  Those of us involved with ECS
constantly try to educate people about this, especially since there
are currently very few EDNS options and this is the only one that
seems to be known by people outside of the DNS community.

                           ================

EDNS / EDNS0 -- The Extension Mechanisms for DNS, defined by
[RFC6891], are an addition to the original message format to allow DNS
agents [which I acknowledge is not defined, but by which I mean to
indicate "any software which speaks DNS"] to specify message sizes
larger than the original 512 octet limit, to expand the response code
space, and to potentially carry additional options that affect the
handling of a query.  EDNS can be versioned, but currently the only
version in public use is EDNS0.

ECS / EDNS client-subnet -- An EDNS option principally for carrying
information from a resolver to an authoritative server about
the general network location of a client of the resolver.  This is
generally used by full service resolves who serve clients from a
diverse network topography to get response from authoritative servers
that tailor their responses based on client location.

[This also seems to be missing as a commonly seen token:]

RRTYPE [RRType?] -- A mnemonic or numeric value representing the type
of data carried in an RR, as defined in [RFC1035] section 3.2, which
impacts how its RDATA is interpreted.  The full set of assigned values
is listed at [IANA reference].

RDATA -- The data portion of an RR, as defined in [RFC1035].  Its
format and semantics varies by RRTYPE.

                           ================

PS: I tend to use NXRRSET as slightly more expressive than NODATA,
though it is an extended rcode for dynamic update.  Worth mentioning
along with the NODATA definition, or am I pretty much solo in using
the term this way?

---

From: Evan Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 22:17:23 +0000

> that tailor their responses based on client location.

+1. If it stops one person from coming up and asking me when BIND is
going to implement EDNS (when they mean ECS), it will all have been
worthwhile. :)

> along with the NODATA definition, or am I pretty much solo in using

You're not the only one.

-- 
Evan Hunt -- [email-masked]
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.