Subject: [DNSOP] "DNS resolver should not use 'ANY' to get cached records for TTL" (bugzilla)

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 20:27:53 -0800

this made the news tonight:

> Tracking Flags:    
> tracking-firefox36:    +
> status-firefox36:    fixed
> tracking-firefox37:    +
> status-firefox37:    fixed
> tracking-firefox38:    +
> status-firefox38:    fixed
> tracking-firefox39:    +
> status-firefox39:    fixed
> relnote-firefox:    36+ 

(https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1093983)

notes--

1. i support the adoption and progression of olafur's draft, regardless
of mozilla's retraction of the bad logic in tonight's firefox release.

2. it's not going to change the amplification/reflection problem and
should not mention that problem at all.

3. it should be renamed to "restricting DNS meta-data queries".

4. it should be expanded to include RD=0 against recursion-only servers,
IXFR/AXFR, and anything else in the DNS protocol that would be useful
for both diagnostics and surveillance.

5. non-response to these queries should be designed to avoid re-query
storms from common initiators.

i agree to review and contribute.

vixie

---

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 13:15:37 -0500

Paul,

Marek and I agree with you to expand the scope to include all meta types at
Authoratitive servers.

And address your other points as well, thanks for the support.
Olafur
 On Mar 6, 2015 11:28 PM, "Paul Vixie" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>

---

From: Terry Manderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 01:02:47 +0000

Good folk,

On 8/03/2015 4:15 am, "Olafur Gudmundsson" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Paul, 
>Marek and I agree with you to expand the scope to include all meta types
>at Authoratitive servers.

I've been vacillating(*) on this more than I probably should have - that
was until I asked myself what role does ANY (or any of the 'meta') queries
really have in day to day use, and what might be the impact if I didn't
have access to it/them.

(*) caught up in the "how" instead of the "why" - I blame jet-lag.

The document still needs work/expansion, and needs some additional
discussion about rationale... So happy to review and contribute.

Cheers
Terry