Subject: [DNSOP] comments on draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology-03 - part 2

From: Casey Deccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 11:39:55 -0400

More comments below.

Cheers,
Casey

1. The definitions of iterative mode and recursive mode still seem a bit
awkward.  Also, the bit about answering from cache doesn't seem to be a
part of recursive mode, but of general response to queries.  And the
discussion of the distinction between recursive servers and recursive
servers is not useful, nor do I think it is accurate.  I suggest the
following:

Iterative mode: A resolution mode in which, when a client queries a server,
"the server refers the client to another server and lets the client pursue
the query" (RFC 1034, section 2.3).  Also called "non-recursive mode" (RFC
1034, section 4.3.1).  A resolver (i.e., the "client") that works in
iterative mode is sometimes called an "iterative resolver".

Recursive mode: A resolution mode in which, when a client queries a server,
"the first server pursues the query for the client at another server" (RFC
1034, section 2.3).  A resolver (i.e., the "server" queried by the
"client") operating in this mode is commonly called a "recursive server" or
"recursive resolver".  RFC 1123 also refers to such as a "recursive name
server".

2. Some re-wording of full-service resolver for clarity:

Full-service resolver: "A complete implementation of the resolver service",
capable of iterative-mode resolution, configured with root server
information, and implementing a cache, among other robustness requirements
(RFC 1123, section 6.1.3.1).

3. More "quoted from" text that should be replaced with the appropriate use
of quotation marks and parenthetical references:
  - Negative caching
  - Authoritative server
  - Authoritative-only server
  - Primary master.
  - Stealth server
  - Hidden master

4. I propose that the following paragraph be added to the definition of
authoritative servers (alternatively they could be added as new terms):

The terms "name server" and "domain name server" are both used to refer to
authoritative servers (RFC 1034 section 2.4; RFC 1123, section 6.1.1).
Occasionally the term "name server" is used more generically to refer to a
server server responding to either recursive or non-recursive queries (RFC
1034, section 4.3.2).

5. Definition of authoritative-only server:

s/ignore/ignore[s]/
s/It will not/[It] will not/

6. In the definition of primary master, it seems more intuitive to switch
the order of the paragraphs in the definition.  Plus there is some
redundancy in the definition (MNAME sentence used twice).  And there should
be a reference to "primary":

"Master [or primary] server at the root of the AXFR/IXFR dependency graph.
The primary master is named in the zone's SOA MNAME field and optionally by
an NS RR.  There is by definition only one primary master server per zone"
(RFC 2136, section 1).  The idea of a primary master is only used by RFC
2136, and is considered archaic in other parts of the DNS.

7. Definition of stealth server:

s/slave/[secondary]/

8. In the definition of forwarding, I think it is more accurate to
distinguish the servers as "recursive resolvers", so it's clear we're not
talking about stubs (this eliminates the need for the bit about not blindly
relaying queries, in my opinion).  See also the changes to forwarder
below.  Here's a proposed re-wording of the first paragraph:

The process of one recursive resolver sending a DNS query with the RD bit
set to another recursive resolver to resolve the query.  A recursive
resolver might be capable of forwarding to another recursive resolver,
performing iterative resolution itself, or a combination or these, possibly
on a per-name basis.

[Second paragraph unchanged]

9. In the definition of forwarder, it seems intuitive to change the order
of the sentences.  Also, it seems to me that the discussion at the end of
the text really has to do with forwarding referring to one of two different
roles in the forwarding process.

Forwarder: "A nameserver used to resolve queries instead of directly using
the authoritative nameserver chain.  The forwarder typically either has
better access to the internet, or maintains a bigger cache which may be
shared amongst many resolvers" (RFC 2308, section 1).  This definition
indicates that the forwarder is the recursive resolver to which queries are
forwarded by another recursive resolver (see "Forwarding").  It is common
today, however, for forwarder to refer to the recursive resolver forwarding
the queries to the upstream recursive resolver.

10. On the definition of open resolver:

s/processes queries/processes recursive queries/
s/stub resolver/resolver/