Subject: [DNSOP] Citation for that ENUM error Re: back to: Some distinctions and a request

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 13:41:18 +0000

On 7/2/15, 8:51, "Edward Lewis" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>What I mean by rules inconsistently applied is a case of apparently
>mis-aligned RFCs on ENUM.  In one RFC, domain names were presented as
>conversions to ASCII and the other following the rules of the old RFC for
>escaping characters.  Specifically, a back-slash was the issue, in one RFC
>it was bare, in the the other escaped, and this difference caused
>implementers of ENUM code headaches.

RFC 5483, section 2.4 talks about this (and gives an example plus a
citation of an "errant" RFC) - although related to regular expressions in
NAPTR Resource Record RDATA fields, not to the domain name.  This does
mention the impact on on-the-wire DNS representations.

In the example, the presence of a '+' is the issue in the NAPTR-held
regular expression. But the same would be true if it were inside a domain
name.

---

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 15:15:35 +0100

> regular expression. But the same would be true if it were inside a domain

No, plus is not a special character in master files so it does not need to
be quoted.

Tony.
-- 
f.anthony.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/
Trafalgar: Westerly 3 backing southwesterly 4 or 5 in northwest, otherwise
northeasterly 4 or 5, occasionally 6 later. Moderate. Fair. Good.