Subject: [DNSOP] About reserving .corp, .home, and .mail

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Dec 2015 16:16:03 -0000

ICANN's published the final version of JAS' namespace collision report.  The
first version came out a year ago but parts of it were redacted because they
stumbled across a horrible bug in some Microsoft software and wanted to give
MS time to fix it.  The final version isn't very different other than fleshing
out some interesting details.

It says that for the most part namespace collsions aren't a big
problem, but there are significant exceptions.  It has a list of
recommendations, starting with this one:

 RECOMMENDATION 1: The TLDs .corp, .home, and .mail be referred to the
 Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) for potential RFC 1918-like
 protection/treatment.

Here's the URL of the announcement with the link to the report.  The
interesting bit of the report is section 5.7 on pages 38-39:

https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-11-30-en

R's,
John

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 21:48:40 +0000

Yup. This is very similar to what the earlier JAS report (
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/name-collision-mitigation-26feb14-en.pdf)
said:
RECOMMENDATION 1: The TLDs .corp, .home, and .mail be permanently
reserved for internal use and receive RFC 1918-like protection/treatment,
potentially via RFC 6761.

The slidedeck presented at the NameCollisions workshop said:
"The TLDs .corp, .home and .mail should be permanently reserved"

Their new recommendation is almost exactly the same:
RECOMMENDATION 1: The TLDs .corp, .home, and .mail be referred to the
 Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) for potential RFC 1918-like
 protection/treatment.

So, yay for consistency.

However, draft-chapin-additional-reserved-tlds (
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chapin-additional-reserved-tlds-02) tried
to do exactly this.
>From the Abstract:
"This document reserves three domain name labels for special use in
accordance with the criteria and procedures of [RFC6761]: home, corp,
and mail."

On July 14th, 2015 DNSOP decided not to adopt this document -
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg14887.html

This is all part of the larger discussions on the IETF handling of RFC6761
/ Special Use Names (a topic which will make me start frothing at the
mouth, and run my dinner), so I'm going to jsut leave it at that...

W

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 11:16 AM John Levine <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>

---

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Dec 2015 16:55:24 -0500

> "The TLDs .corp, .home and .mail should be permanently reserved"

Yup, we were both there.  The new report has more details, notably that 
when he looked at the traffic for corp.com, which he figured would get 
traffic from DNS search lists, boy did he ever.  I think the word he 
used was stupendous.  Its characteristics suggested that no plausible set 
of changes would make it stop, or even slow down very much.  The domain's 
owner had done all of the wild card poisoning tricks, none of which made 
any difference at all.

> mouth, and run my dinner), so I'm going to jsut leave it at that...

At least everyone seems to agree that those are the three names poisoned 
by existing usage, and there aren't any others with that particular 
problem.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail.

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 09:01:56 +1100

In message <CAHw9_i+KCKzZRxHOBRtEro00zF=V5c=[email-masked]>
> accordance with the criteria and procedures of [RFC6761]: home, corp,

It's all about timing and who has responability for that part of the
namespace at that time.
 
> --001a114edb3056f42e0525f13d60
> Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
> 
> <div dir=3D"ltr">Yup. This is very similar to what the earlier JAS report (=
>  =C2=A0<a href=3D"https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/name-collisio=
> n-mitigation-26feb14-en.pd">https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/nam=
> e-collision-mitigation-26feb14-en.pd</a>f) said:<div><div>RECOMMENDATION 1:=
>  The TLDs .corp, .home, and .mail be permanently<br></div><div>reserved for=
>  internal use and receive RFC 1918-like protection/treatment,</div><div>pot=
> entially via RFC 6761.</div><div><br></div><div>The slidedeck presented at =
> the NameCollisions workshop said:=C2=A0</div><div>&quot;The TLDs .corp, .ho=
> me and .mail should be
> permanently reserved&quot;</div><div><br></div><div>Their new recommendatio=
> n is almost exactly the same:</div><div>RECOMMENDATION 1: The TLDs .corp, .=
> home, and .mail be referred to the<br>=C2=A0Internet Engineering Task Force=
>  (IETF) for potential RFC 1918-like<br>=C2=A0protection/treatment.<br></div=
> ><div><br></div><div>So, yay for consistency.</div><div><br></div><div>Howe=
> ver, draft-chapin-additional-reserved-tlds (<a href=3D"http://tools.ietf.or=
> g/html/draft-chapin-additional-reserved-tlds-02">http://tools.ietf.org/html=
> /draft-chapin-additional-reserved-tlds-02</a>) tried to do exactly this.</d=
> iv><div>From the Abstract:=C2=A0</div><div>&quot;This document reserves thr=
> ee domain name labels for special use in</div><div>accordance with the crit=
> eria and procedures of [RFC6761]: home, corp,</div><div>and mail.&quot;</di=
> v><div><br></div><div>On July 14th, 2015 DNSOP decided not to adopt this do=
> cument -=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/curren=
> t/msg14887.html">https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg148=
> 87.html</a></div><div><br></div><div>This is all part of the larger discuss=
> ions on the IETF handling of RFC6761 / Special Use Names (a topic which wil=
> l make me start frothing at the mouth, and run my dinner), so I&#39;m going=
>  to jsut leave it at that...</div><div><br></div><div>W</div><div><br><div =
> class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 11:16 AM John=
>  Levine &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrot=
> e:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;bo=
> rder-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">ICANN&#39;s published the final =
> version of JAS&#39; namespace collision report.=C2=A0 The<br>
> first version came out a year ago but parts of it were redacted because the=
> y<br>
> stumbled across a horrible bug in some Microsoft software and wanted to giv=
> e<br>
> MS time to fix it.=C2=A0 The final version isn&#39;t very different other t=
> han fleshing<br>
> out some interesting details.<br>
> <br>
> It says that for the most part namespace collsions aren&#39;t a big<br>
> problem, but there are significant exceptions.=C2=A0 It has a list of<br>
> recommendations, starting with this one:<br>
> <br>
> =C2=A0RECOMMENDATION 1: The TLDs .corp, .home, and .mail be referred to the=
> <br>
> =C2=A0Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) for potential RFC 1918-like<br=
> >
> =C2=A0protection/treatment.<br>
> <br>
> Here&#39;s the URL of the announcement with the link to the report.=C2=A0 T=
> he<br>
> interesting bit of the report is section 5.7 on pages 38-39:<br>
> <br>
> <a href=3D"https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-11-30-en" rel=3D"=
> noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-201=
> 5-11-30-en</a><br>
> <br>
> R&#39;s,<br>
> John<br>
> <br>
> _______________________________________________<br>
> DNSOP mailing list<br>
> <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a><br>
> <a href=3D"https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop" rel=3D"noreferrer" =
> target=3D"_blank">https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop</a><br>
> </blockquote></div></div></div></div>
> 
> --001a114edb3056f42e0525f13d60--
> 
> 
> --===============5072829297012813202==
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Content-Disposition: inline
> 
> --===============5072829297012813202==--
> 
-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]