Subject: [DNSOP] Creating a registry for reserved labels.

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 08:13:08 -0700

Dear all,

During the discussions on KSK Sentinel and MTA-STS (
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-mta-sts/20/) the IESG noted
that we recently have twice "reserved" use of a left hand (non-underscore)
label.

It is strongly felt that a registry to record names like this would be
useful.

Some examples of these names include:
root-key-sentinel-not-ta-<number>.
mta-sts.
xn--(anything).

(There are some others as well, which escape me, but I think Andrew has a
few examples).

While writing KSK Sentinel, I'd proposed addling the sentinel labels to the
RFC6761 Special Use Domain-Names Registry, but it was made clear to me (
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/dnsop/?q=walkin+on+the+sun) that
DNSOP does not beleive that lables (being not domains) do not get added to
the registry.

Ok, good point.... but, I still think that labels which get special
handling should be recorded *somewhere*, simply to satisfy the principle of
least astonishment...

So, does would anyone be willing to volunteer to write a "Special Use
Labels" document (similar to draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf) simply creating a
registry for "these left hand labels are special / funny in some way" ?

W

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
   ---maf