Subject: [DNSOP] draft-tale-dnsop-serve-stale

From: "Ralf Weber" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2018 14:55:19 +0700

Moin!

As the mic line was closed after Mark, and I didn’t have anything new 
to say meaning I support the draft but don’t like the EDNS options 
before Mark spoke I use email to comment on Marks comments.

We already have a mechanism where the Authority tells the resolver how 
long to cache stuff it’s TTL and we have in pretty much all modern 
resolvers mechanisms to cap the lower and upper bounds of that, which 
means we occasionally ignore that. Serve-stale just adds to that. Having 
a new knob where the authority tells the resolvers on how long to serve 
stale that then will be ignored/capped just increases complexity with no 
benefit.

Also if you integrated the serve stale with prefetching the actual 
timers visible to the users go down to zero as you probably already 
recursed before the record expired and didn’t get the answer. Maybe 
you should note that in the timer section.

So long
-Ralf