Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2019 15:06:38 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Serving Stale Data to Improve DNS Resiliency
        Authors         : David C Lawrence
                          Warren "Ace" Kumari
                          Puneet Sood
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-06.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2019-08-08

Abstract:
   This draft defines a method (serve-stale) for recursive resolvers to
   use stale DNS data to avoid outages when authoritative nameservers
   cannot be reached to refresh expired data.  It updates the definition
   of TTL from [RFC1034], [RFC1035], and [RFC2181] to make it clear that
   data can be kept in the cache beyond the TTL expiry and used for
   responses when a refreshed answer is not readily available.  One of
   the motivations for serve-stale is to make the DNS more resilient to
   DoS attacks, and thereby make them less attractive as an attack
   vector.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 18:19:20 -0400

This version addresses comments received during WGLC.  The authors
have been trying to be diligent about addressing comments as they come
in (both on-list, and some in in-person conversations), and so there
weren't very many outstanding issues.
There are also implementations, and so experience showing that the
concept / solution works.
W

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 6:07 PM <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf