Subject: [DNSOP] Fwd: [Add] Joint ADD-DPRIVE-DNSOPS January 26, 2022 Interim

From: Benno Overeinder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:54:31 +0100

Hi all,

As previously announced, there will be a joint ADD-DPRIVE-DNSOP interim 
meeting next Wednesday, January 26.  Below is the forwarded email from 
the ADD mailing list.  Note: the date is Wednesday, January 26.

Best regards,

Suzanne, Tim and Benno

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[Add] Joint ADD-DPRIVE-DNSOPS January 27, 2022 Interim
Date: 	Mon, 10 Jan 2022 19:42:04 +0000
From: 	Deen, Glenn <Glenn_Deen=[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Hi everyone,

The chairs of ADD, DPRIVE, and DNSOPS have scheduled a joint interim on 
the topic of Split-DNS for January 27, 2022 from 1700-1830 UTC.

This was originally announced on the ADD list back on Dec 20, but didn’t 
get a lot of attention like due to the holidays at the time 
(https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/add/Jd3Tql9dLkYEBWrv5ifsMAU7M9g/ 
<https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/add/Jd3Tql9dLkYEBWrv5ifsMAU7M9g/>)

Background:

---------------

This is a follow up to the discussion that has taken place in ADD around 
how to support discovery of encrypted DNS resolvers in Split-DNS 
environments.   That extended discussion in ADD current stands at:  (1) 
The ADD group showed that there was consensus that the problem of how to 
do discovery in Split-DNS environments was important for the group to 
work on;  (2) The ADD group currently does not have consensus on how it 
should be done.  (3) A number of discussion issues that are outside of 
the ADD Charter have been raised around requirements that can uniquely 
occur in split-DNS environments.

It is the intent to use this joint session to discuss such issues, and 
others as needed to better understand the requirements that need to be 
satisfied for a ADD discovery mechanism for Split-DNS environments.

Motivation:

--------------

   * Split-DNS is widely used in Enterprise and Intuitional network
     operations and in VPN environments.
   * Without a practical and acceptable standard on how to discover
     encrypted DNS resolvers it is likely that operators that make use of
     split-DNS will take it upon themselves to invent and deploy a wide
     variety of non-standardized discovery methods.   This will hamper
     any future standards that may be developed, and will impact users
     negatively since they will not have a standard discovery mechanism
     to make use of.
   * The hope is that by discussing the security, privacy, and
     operational needs of discovery in Split-DNS environments that the
     ADD group can make progress toward documenting how to do it in a
     standard way

Purpose of the Joint Interim:

--------------------------------------

   * To discuss the issues around discovery of encrypted DNS resolvers in
     a  Split-DNS environment.

What this Interim is NOT:

-----------------------------------

   * This is not intended as a referendum on the use of split-DNS.
   * This is not a workshop on how proposals of how to end the practice
     of Split-DNS or how to re-engineer networks that have it currently
     deployed.

Agenda

-----------

   * Agenda and any Materials will be posted at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2022-add-01/session/add

   * The chairs of the 3 groups are working on the agenda for the Interim
     and plan on making it available well ahead of the 1-27-2022 Interim
     Meeting.
Thanks,

Glenn Deen on behalf of the ADD, DPrive, DNSOPS co-chairs