Subject: [dnsoverhttp] DNS over HTTP: next steps?

From: Shane Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 17:12:07 +0100

Hello,

What are the next steps for DNS over HTTP in the IETF?

There seemed to be a lot of interest at the bar-BoF in Seoul, but there
has not been much discussion on the list.

Do we actually have a sense that there are problem statements that we
can make? Should someone try to draft this? (I can make an attempt
based on the bar-BoF, although this will definitely be from a DNS point
of view.)

Cheers,

--
Shane

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 16:28:48 +0000

> What are the next steps for DNS over HTTP in the IETF?

+1 :-)

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 15:11:25 -0500

First, I want to thank everyone for coming out to the bar bof and
contributing their honest and positive energy. It was a good discussion.

Personally, I didn't find the room to have a lot of agreement(yet) to build
a unified approach to {tunneling, h2, lookup, and publish} - which is what
I was hoping for. So I'm not sure I personally have an immediate next step
- I do like Paul and Joe's draft
https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-hoffman-dns-over-http-01.txt as a starting
point but I remain unclear on whether there would be support in using that
as the seed for a working group forming bof.

Also, take a look at the minutes and you'll find some people (4-5)
expressed interest in writing other drafts that could be the basis of a
BoF. I would think it would be incumbent on those folks to step forward
with at least their outlines. This list remains a fine place to do that
imo. https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsoverhttp/current/msg00070.html

Happy Holidays all.

-Patrick