Subject: [Doh] Terry Manderson's Block on charter-ietf-doh-00-03: (with BLOCK)

From: Terry Manderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 17:08:56 -0700

Terry Manderson has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-doh-00-03: Block

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-doh/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
BLOCK:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I would very much like to see explicit text in the charter that reinforces the
need for cross area review to INT area for DNS semantics and also to OPS (not
speaking for the OPS ADs) for operational impacts of DNS over HTTPS on the
aspects where normal/expected host (stub resolver->recursive resolver)
behaviours are altered through browser HTTPS over DNS resolution.

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 19:24:51 -0500

> behaviours are altered through browser HTTPS over DNS resolution.

Would adding the following text be adequate?

> The working group will coordinate with the DNSOP and INTAREA working 
> groups for input on DNS-over-HTTPS's impact on DNS operations and DNS 
> semantics, respectvely. In particular, DNSOP will be consulted for 
> guidance on the operational impacts that result from traditional host 
> behaviors (i.e., stub-resolver to recursive-resolver interaction) 
> being replaced with the specified mechanism.

/a