Subject: [Dots] Clarity in use of ampersand in data channel

From: "Jon Shallow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 13:14:09 -0000

Hi All,

Should we be using & as a separator in the namespace-uri of a RESTCONF
request?

For example, in 7.3. Remove Filtering Rules, we have

     DELETE /restconf/data/ietf-dots-data-channel:access-lists\ 

            /client-identifier=dz6pHjaADkaFTbjr0JGBpw\

            /acl-name=sample-ipv4-acl&\

            acl-type=ipv4-acl HTTP/1.1

     Host: {host}:{port}

Where there is ./acl-name=sample-ipv4-acl&acl-type=ipv4-acl .  I understand
the intent of this as acl-name= and acl-type= are an associated pair, but in
the uri path should this really be
./acl-name=sample-ipv4-acl/acl-type=ipv4-acl ?

We have separated out .. /client-identifier=dz6pHjaADkaFTbjr0JGBpw/.. as a
separate path component, so it makes sense to me to also use / instead of &
for splitting out acl-name= and acl-type=.  NOTE: we need to be careful
about defining parameter ordering here in the uri.

Although DOTS does not use such YANG parameter name format, it would appear
that, for example, "bill&joe" is a valid entity in its own rights, so using
& as a parameter separator could be problematic..

RFC8040 only has / separators prior to a ? in its examples.

Comments welcome.

Regards

Jon

---

From: "Konda, Tirumaleswar Reddy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 11:12:05 +0000

From: Dots [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jon Shallow
Sent: Wednesday, January 3, 2018 6:44 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Dots] Clarity in use of ampersand in data channel

Hi All,

Should we be using & as a separator in the namespace-uri of a RESTCONF request?

Where there is .../acl-name=sample-ipv4-acl&acl-type=ipv4-acl .  I understand the intent of this as acl-name= and acl-type= are an associated pair, but in the uri path should this really be .../acl-name=sample-ipv4-acl/acl-type=ipv4-acl ?

We have separated out .. /client-identifier=dz6pHjaADkaFTbjr0JGBpw/.. as a separate path component, so it makes sense to me to also use / instead of & for splitting out acl-name= and acl-type=.  NOTE: we need to be careful about defining parameter ordering here in the uri.

Although DOTS does not use such YANG parameter name format, it would appear that, for example, "bill&joe" is a valid entity in its own rights, so using & as a parameter separator could be problematic..

[TR] Yes, will update draft to use / separator.

-Tiru

Comments welcome.

Regards

Jon