Subject: [Dots] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-dots-architecture-16: (with COMMENT)

From: Barry Leiba via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 23:09:41 -0800

Barry Leiba has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dots-architecture-16: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dots-architecture/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

A well done document; thanks,  I have just a few minor comments:

— Section 1.1.1 —
You don’t *quite* have the BCP 14 boilerplate verbatim; please fix that.

— Section 1.3 —

   o  The signal and data channels are loosely coupled, and may not
      terminate on the same DOTS server.

I suggest “might not”, lest someone misread it to mean that they are not
permitted to (the strict English meaning of “may not”).  Look for “may not”
elsewhere also: I saw it in Section 2 as well, and one or two other places.

— Section 2 —

   Thus, DOTS neither specifies how an attack target decides it is under
   DDoS attack, nor does DOTS specify how a mitigator may actually
   mitigate such an attack.

The structure of this “neither...nor” doesn’t work.

NEW
   Thus, DOTS specifies neither how an attack target decides it is under
   DDoS attack, nor how a mitigator may actually mitigate such an attack.
END

---

From: "Konda, Tirumaleswar Reddy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 07:38:37 +0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dots <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Barry Leiba via
> Datatracker
> Sent: Wednesday, February 5, 2020 12:40 PM
> To: The IESG <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Roman Danyliw <[email-masked]>; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: [Dots] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-dots-architecture-16:
> (with COMMENT)
> 
> CAUTION: External email. Do not click links or open attachments unless you
> recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
> 
> When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all email
> addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this introductory
> paragraph, however.)
> 
> 

Fixed. 

> elsewhere also: I saw it in Section 2 as well, and one or two other places.

Thanks, corrected in other places (Sections 1.3, 2 and 3.2.4.1). 

>    DDoS attack, nor how a mitigator may actually mitigate such an attack.

Updated in my local copy.

Cheers,
-Tiru

> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Dots mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dots

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 09:19:41 -0500

Thanks for the quick reply and the fixes, Tiru!

Barry