Subject: [dsfjdssdfsd] fyi: Pseudorandom Number Generation in Smart Cards: An Implementation, Performance and Randomness Analysis

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 07:14:06 -0800

of possible overall interest (in terms of the analysis aspects)...

Akram, Raja Naeem, Konstantinos Markantonakis, and Keith Mayes. 
"Pseudorandom Number Generation in Smart Cards: An Implementation, 
Performance and Randomness Analysis." New Technologies, Mobility and 
Security (NTMS), 2012 5th International Conference on. IEEE, 2012.
http://digirep.rhul.ac.uk/file/315c7a7e-4963-4a62-189f-4ad198a79f30/5/Paper.pdf

Abstract—

Smart cards rely on pseudorandom number generators
to provide uniqueness and freshness in their cryptographic
services i.e. encryption and digital signatures. Their implementations
are kept proprietary by smart card manufacturers in
order to remain competitive. In this paper we look at how
these generators are implemented in general purpose computers.
How architecture of such generators can be modified to suit the
smart card environment. Six variations of this modified model
were implemented in Java Card along with the analysis of their
performance and randomness. To analyse the randomness of the
implemented algorithms, the NIST statistical test suite is used.
Finally, an overall analysis is provided, that is useful for smart
card designers to make informed decisions when implementing
pseudorandom number generators.