Subject: [dsfjdssdfsd] what not to do...

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 10:48:06 -0700

> Looking at the traffic on this list I wondered if it'd
 > be an idea to try document the things implementers should
 > not do with (P)RNGs or to generate random (sets of:-)
 > numbers.
 >
 > It seems like there's a lot of knowledge on that spread
 > about and if there was someone was willing and able maybe
 > an informational RFC about mistakes that have been made
 > and how implementers can avoid 'em might be useful.
 >
 > Whatcha think?
 >
 > Or maybe that'd just generate endless debate and offer
 > no useful guidance?
 >
 > Or maybe there's a survey paper out there somewhere
 > or thesis that already has a load of that material?

well, here's some searches...

"prng random number generator secure implementation survey"
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?start=20&q=prng+random+number+generator+secure+implementation+survey&hl=en&as_sdt=1,5

"prng random number generator survey"
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=prng+random+number+generator+survey&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=1%2C5

..some cherry-picked items from first few pages of results (I havent 
examined them, ymmv)...

Desai, Anand, Alejandro Hevia, and Yiqun Lisa Yin. "A practice-oriented 
treatment of pseudorandom number generators." In Advances in 
Cryptology—EUROCRYPT 2002, pp. 368-383. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2002.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.109.5819&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Matsumoto, Makoto, Mutsuo Saito, Hiroshi Haramoto, and Takuji Nishimura. 
"Pseudorandom Number Generation: Impossibility and Compromise." J. UCS 12, 
no. 6 (2006): 672-690.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.103.911&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Schoo, Marcus, Krzysztof Pawlikowski, and Donald C. McNickle. A survey and 
empirical comparison of modern pseudo-random number generators for 
distributed stochastic simulations. Department of Computer Science and 
Software Development, University of Canterbury, 2005.
https://cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/research/reports/TechReps/2005/tr_0503.pdf

hth,

=JeffH