Subject: [Dtls-iot] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dice-profile-14.txt> (TLS/DTLS Profiles for the Internet of Things) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 06:52:35 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the DTLS In Constrained Environments
WG (dice) to consider the following document:
- 'TLS/DTLS Profiles for the Internet of Things'
  <draft-ietf-dice-profile-14.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-09-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   A common design pattern in Internet of Things (IoT) deployments is
   the use of a constrained device that collects data via sensor or
   controls actuators for use in home automation, industrial control
   systems, smart cities and other IoT deployments.

   This document defines a Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Datagram
   TLS (DTLS) 1.2 profile that offers communications security for this
   data exchange thereby preventing eavesdropping, tampering, and
   message forgery.  The lack of communication security is a common
   vulnerability in Internet of Things products that can easily be
   solved by using these well-researched and widely deployed Internet
   security protocols.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dice-profile/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dice-profile/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.