Subject: [EAI] I-D Action:draft-ietf-eai-downgrade-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Email Address Internationalization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Downgrading mechanism for Email Address Internationalization
	Author(s)       : K. Fujiwara, Y. Yoneya
	Filename        : draft-ietf-eai-downgrade-07.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2008-03-13

Traditional mail systems handle only ASCII characters in SMTP
envelope and mail header fields.  The Email Address
Internationalization (UTF8SMTP) extension allows UTF-8 characters in
SMTP envelope and mail header fields.  To avoid bouncing
internationalized Email messages when a server in the delivery path
does not support the UTF8SMTP extension, some sort of converting
mechanism is required.  This document describes a downgrading
mechanism for Email Address Internationalization.  Note that this is
a way to downgrade, not tunnel.  There is no associated up-conversion
mechanism, although internationalized email clients might use
original internationalized addresses or other data when displaying or
replying to downgraded messages.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-downgrade-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 00:43:22 +0900 (JST)

I updated downgrade document.

Changes between 05 - 06 are:
  Moved decoding downgraded messages as a separate document
   -> draft-fujiwara-eai-downgraded-display-00
  Added a text to UNSTRUCTURED downgrading
  Added "replacing SMTP connection" if necessary to SMTP downgrading.
  fixed examples

Changes between 06 - 07 are:
  Fixed 3 typos
  Added a text about 7bit transport

  8.2.  7bit transport consideration

   The SMTP client may confront a SMTP server which does not support the
   8BITMIME SMTP extension [RFC1652].  The server does not support
   "8bit" or "binary" data.  Implementers need to consider to replace
   "8bit" data to be "base64" or "quoted-printable" encoded form and
   reflect it to "Content-Transfer-Encoding" header field.  If the body
   contains multiple MIME parts, this conversion must be performed for
   each MIME part according to [RFC2045].

Please check differences using rfcdiff.

http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-downgrade-06.txt&url2=http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-downgrade-07.txt

Regards,

--
Kazunori Fujiwara, JPRS <[email-masked]>

> From: [email-masked]