Subject: [eap] Re: EAP BOF at Yokahama?

From: [email-masked] (Bernard Aboba)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:14:10 -0700 (PDT)

>Will there be an EAP meeting in Yokohama? If so, will it be a BOF? A WG?

At the moment, EAP work (including RFC 2284bis) is still chartered within
the PPPEXT WG. Unfortunately, Karl Fox has indicated that he will not be
going to Yokohama and so PPPEXT WG will not meet.

I am told that the IESG will take up the subject of formation of an EAP WG
at their next teleconference call. If you have any opinions on the
formation of an EAP WG and the appropriate charter for such a WG (strawman
is enclosed below), I'd suggest sending mail to the Internet Area ADs.

With respect to an EAP BOF at IETF 54 in Yokahama, there is currently none
scheduled. While IETF rules state that 3 BOFs may not be held on a single
topic, and EAP has been the subject of two BOFs (one at IETF 43 in
Orlando, and another at IETF 53), it is possible that the rules could be
bent, given the separation between the BOFs.

Strawman EAP WG Charter
-------------------------------------------------------------------
 EAP Working Group (EAP)

 Chair(s):
    This space for rent

 Area Director(s):
    Thomas Narten <[email-masked]
    Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]

 Security Advisors:
    Bill Arbaugh <[email-masked]

 Mailing Lists:

 General discussion: [email-masked]
 To subscribe: send a message with "subscribe" in the subject to
               [email-masked]
 Archive: http://mail.frascone.com/pipermail/eap/

 The EAP working group will restrict itself to the following
 work items in order to fully document and improve the
 interoperability of the existing EAP protocol:

 1.  IANA considerations for EAP.
 2.  Type space extension to support an expanded Type space.
 3.  EAP usage model.
 4.  Threat model and security requirements.
 5.  EAP state machine.
 6.  Documentation of interaction between EAP and other layers.
 7.  Resolution of interoperability issues.
 8.  EAP keying problem description and requirements.

 Items 1-7 are intended to be covered within RFC 2248bis, the
 revision to the EAP specification. Item 8 will be covered within
 a separate document

 The EAP WG is not currently chartered to review or standardize EAP
 methods. However, when these work items are completed, the WG may be
 rechartered, or a new WG may be formed to evaluate proposed methods.

 Goals and Milestones

 Dec  02   RFC 2284bis published as a Proposed Standard RFC.
 Jun  03   EAP keying problem document published as an Informational RFC.

 Internet-Drafts

 RFC 2284bis
 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pppext-rfc2284bis-04.txt

 Request for Comments

 RFC 2284, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2284.txt