Subject: [eap] Issue 35: NAK'ing an Identity Request

From: [email-masked] (Bernard Aboba)
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 19:19:15 -0700 (PDT)

Issue 35: NAK'ing an Identity Request
Submitter: Bernard Aboba
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: October 5, 2002
Reference:
Document: RFC2284bis-06
Comment type: T
Priority: 2
Section: 5.1
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

RFC 2284bis doesn't state whether an Identity request can be NAK'd.

Change:

"The Identity Type is used to query the identity of the peer.  The
   Authenticator will typically issue this as the initial Request.  An
   optional displayable message MAY be included to prompt the Peer in
   the case where there is an expectation of interaction with a user.  A
   Response MUST be sent to this Request with a Type of 1 (Identity)."

To:

"The Identity Type is used to query the identity of the peer. The
Authenticator will typically issue this as the initial Request. An
optional displayable message MAY be included to prompt the Peer in
the case where there is an expectation of interaction with a user.
A peer MAY respond to an Identity Request with a NAK if it does not
wish to reveal its identity. Otherwise, the peer MUST send an
Identity Response in response to an Identity Request."