Subject: [eap] Proposed Resolution of Issue 253: AAA-Key Name is Misleading

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:56:22 -0700 (PDT)

Since I agree with Joe's comments, it pains me that the term "AAA-Key" is
used in RFC 3748, and therefore I don't feel we can change the term in the
EAP Key Management framework document.

However, we probably should expose language clarifying that the AAA-Key
exists even where there is no AAA server (how is that for obfuscation?).
Since this point has already caused confusion, the damage is probaby
already done, but...
_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:03:26 +0300

> exists even where there is no AAA server (how is that for obfuscation?).

I think that is all we can do. Too bad, but can't be
helped.

--Jari

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:04:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Jari Arkko wrote:

> I think that is all we can do. Too bad, but can't be helped.

I looked at the definition of "AAA-Key".  It says:

"However, despite the name, the AAA-Key is computed regardless of whether
a backend authentication server is present."

So I'm not sure how much more we can do.
_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap