Subject: [eap] New draft on EAP Enrollment

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:37:07 -0700

Hi,

I recently submitted a draft which describes a new EAP method for  
enrolling in an administrative domain and getting credentials you can  
use later.  The use case is for wireless devices with minimal interface  
like phones and equipment carts that need an easy way to get good  
credentials, but can then subsequently use something like WPA2  
Enterprise with a machine generated username and password, or EAP-TLS  
with mutual certificate authentication to join the wireless LAN.

This draft is very much a preliminary idea.  I do not have much  
experience with EAP, but I saw a real need for some sort of solution  
here and wrote this draft so there was a concrete example that folks  
can discuss.  I apologize for not being fully up to speed on EAP.  I  
welcome your comments.

Until it appears in the archives you can find it here in text and html  
formats:

	https://scm.sipfoundry.org/rep/ietf-drafts/rohan/eap-enroll/draft- 
mahy-eap-enrollment-00.txt
	https://scm.sipfoundry.org/rep/ietf-drafts/rohan/eap-enroll/draft- 
mahy-eap-enrollment-00.html

thanks,
-rohan

_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

---

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:19:40 +0200

hi rohan, 

i quickly browsed through the draft. as you might guess a number of folks had the idea of "bootstrapping" something with eap. actually there are too many of them to list them in a single mail. some of these proposals haven't excited our security ads. hence, i was suprised to see that you thank 'Russ Housley and Benard Aboba for their support of this idea'. 

ciao
hannes

ps: you do not need to bootstrap asymmetric keying material in eap. you can use one level of indirection by bootstrapping symmetric keying material for usage of a certificate management protocol. needless to say that this was also proposed in the past. 

> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Im Auftrag von Rohan Mahy
> Gesendet: Dienstag, 12. Juli 2005 19:37
> An: [email-masked]
> Cc: Rohan Mahy
> Betreff: [eap] New draft on EAP Enrollment
> 
> 
> Hi,
>