Subject: [eap] channel binding

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 11:58:57 +0300

Forwarding bounced message to the list:

>Subject: channel binding
>User-Agent: Mutt/1.5.9i
>
>In the IETF63 EAP meeting, I think there was a consensus that the new
>channel binding scheme described in
>draft-ohba-eap-aaakey-binding-00.txt will not be included in the EAP
>keying framework draft.  But I would like to confirm if it is OK to
>describe the scheme to be described in a separate document as an
>extension to the keying framework.
>
>As Hannes mentioned in the meeting, we need an answer for it as soon
>as possible because EAP-IKEv2 (I am a co-author of it) has its own
>channel binding functionality and I think that if the new channel
>binding scheme is accepted as an extension, we can remove the channel
>binding functionality from EAP-IKEv2 to make it much simpler and rely
>on the new channel binding scheme instead.
>
>Best regards,
>Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

---

From: "Salowey, Joe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 02:33:18 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jari Arkko [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 1:59 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: Yoshihiro Ohba
> Subject: [eap] channel binding
> 
> >As Hannes mentioned in the meeting, we need an answer for it 
> as soon as 
> >possible because EAP-IKEv2 (I am a co-author of it) has its 
> own channel 
> >binding functionality and I think that if the new channel binding 
> >scheme is accepted as an extension, we can remove the 
> channel binding 
> >functionality from EAP-IKEv2 to make it much simpler and rely on the 
> >new channel binding scheme instead.
> >

[Joe] I don't think it would be a good idea to remove "channel bindings"
from EAP-IKEv2 itself.  Performing this functionality in the method is
different than doing it in the key derivation.  For example there are
uses of EAP where EAP derived keys are not used and therefore any sort
of binding in the key derivation would be useless.