Subject: [eap] ISSUE: Key Scope and EAP server Authorization

From: "Salowey, Joe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 16:25:44 -0700

Submitter name: Joe Salowey
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 05/03/2006
Reference: 
Document: Keying Framework
Comment type: 'T'echnical 
Priority: '1' Should fix 
Section: 2.2.1 and 3.2
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

Section 1.4.1 correctly defines the scope of the EAP keying material as
being defined by the EAP Peer and EAP server, however this relationship
is not carried out in other key scope discussions as far as I can tell.
In order for channel binding, key mixing etc. to work the peer must make
sure that the key is used not just within the authorized parameters of
the lower layer, but of the authorized scope of the EAP server as well.

I'm not sure of all of all the places where this needs to be addressed,
but I think it needs to be addressed in section 2.2.1 perhaps by adding 

"[g] Verifying that the advertised scope is within the scope that the
EAP server is allowed to authorize"

Section 3.2 should probably state somewhere that:

"The peer should verify that the key scope advertised by the
authenticator is within the scope that is allowed to be authorized by
the EAP Server."
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap