Subject: [eap] ISSUE: Section 2.2.1 ambiguous use of identifier

From: "Salowey, Joe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 16:18:09 -0700

Submitter name: Joe Salowey
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 05/02/06
Reference: 
Document: Keying Framework
Comment type:  T
Priority:  1  
Section: 2.2.1
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

Ambiguous use of "identifier":

It is not clear in this section what the identifier is and what it is
identifying.  

Does this section mean to suggest that lower layer entities identify
themselves using NAS-ID instead of layer addresses?  I'm not sure that
this is a good thing or even really possible.  It seems that lower layer
entities will identify themselves based on something related to lower
layer addresses.  It seems that if a lower layer implements key caching
then it needs an identifier to identify the scope of the cache.  This
identifier can be the NAS-ID.

I'm not quite sure I understand this section, but I think it just needs
to be clearer about what identity is being talked about. 

This section does not contain any description of how existing lower
layers deal with authenticator identity.  Are such examples available?
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap