Subject: [eap] ISSUE: EAP Keying section 1.4 data associated with authentication

From: "Salowey, Joe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:51:48 -0700

Submitter name: Joe Salowey	
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 
Reference: 
Document: Keying Framework
Comment type: 'E'ditorial
Priority: '1' Should fix 
Section: Section 1.4
Rationale/Explanation of issue:
Length description of problem   

This section contains text that seem to indicate that an EAP method has
access to certain data for authorization.  While this may be true in
some cases this is not generally true.

Suggested revision:

"As illustrated in Figure 2, the EAP method key derivation has at the
   root the long term credential utilized by the selected EAP method.
   If authentication is based on a pre-shared key, the parties store the
   EAP method to be used and the pre-shared key.  The EAP server also
   stores the peer's identity as well as additional information. This
information is typically used outside of the EAP method to determine if
access to
   some service should be granted. The peer stores information necessary
   to choose which secret to use for which service.

   If authentication is based on proof of possession of the private key
   corresponding to the public key contained within a certificate, the
   parties store the EAP method to be used and the trust anchors used to
   validate the certificates.  The EAP server may also store additional
information associated with the peer's
   identity and the peer stores information necessary to choose which
   certificate to use for which service."

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap