Subject: [eap] ISSUE: section 2 - lower layer parameres and EMSK text

From: "Salowey, Joe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 12:20:30 -0700

Submitter name: Joe Salowey
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 05/02/06
Reference: 
Document: Keying Framework
Comment type:  'E'ditorial
Priority:  '1' Should fix 
Section: 2
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

1. Passing of parameters to lower layer.  It seems that there may be
some parameters passed to lower layers that could be usable elsewhere.
For example the Session-ID might be usable.  If the session-id is
included in parameters then I think the  following may be to
restrictive:

"This
   implies that EAP keying material or parameters passed down to a lower
   layer are for the exclusive use of that lower layer and MUST NOT be
   used within another lower layer"

Suggested change:

"This
   implies that EAP keying material passed down to a lower
   layer are for the exclusive use of that lower layer and MUST NOT be
   used within another lower layer."

If this change is accepted there are several other places in the section
where this should be changed. 

2. EMSK text 

The First paragraph still mentions exporting the EMSK to the lower layer
which seems to be problematic when considered with the rest of the text
of this section.  I don't think the EMSK should be discussed in the
lower layer section. 

My suggeston would be to remove references to the EMSK in this section
and move the paragraph discussing the EMSK to Section 1.4 EAP Key
hierarchy. 

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap