Subject: [eap] Issue: Definition of Session-Id

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:59:07 -0800

Issue: Definition of Session-Id
Submitter name: Bernard Aboba
Submitter email address: mailto:[email-masked]
Date first submitted: 11/19/2006
Reference:
Document: KEYING-15
Comment type: E
Priority: S
Section: 1.4, 5.6
Rationale/Explanation of issue

In -15 all mention of the Method-Id has been removed from the document.  
However, some method specifications currently in the RFC Editor queue still 
use the term.  Also, there is an inconsistency in the definition of 
Session-Id between sections 1.4 and 5.6.

Proposed Fix:

In Section 1.4, change:

"     The Session-Id uniquely identifies an EAP session between an EAP
      peer (as identified by the Peer-Id) and server (as identified by
      the Server-Id).  Where the EAP Type Code is less than 255, the EAP
      Session-Id consists of the concatenation of the EAP Type Code and
      a temporally unique identifier obtained from the method.  Where
      expanded EAP Type Codes are used, the EAP Session-Id consists of
      the Expanded Type Code (including the Type, Vendor-Id and Vendor-
      Type fields defined in [RFC3748] Section 5.7) concatenated with a
      temporally unique identifier obtained from the method."

To:

"     The Session-Id uniquely identifies an EAP session between an EAP
      peer (as identified by the Peer-Id) and server (as identified by
      the Server-Id).  Where the EAP Type Code is less than 255, the EAP
      Session-Id consists of the concatenation of the EAP Type Code and
      a temporally unique identifier obtained from the method (known as the 
Method-Id). Where
      expanded EAP Type Codes are used, the EAP Session-Id consists of
      the Expanded Type Code (including the Type, Vendor-Id and Vendor-
      Type fields defined in [RFC3748] Section 5.7) concatenated with a
      temporally unique identifier obtained from the method (Method-Id)."

In Section 5.6 change:

"    The EAP Session-Id, derived from the Expanded EAP Type and the
     temporally unique identifier obtained from the method, enables the
     EAP peer, authenticator and server to distinguish EAP
     conversations.  However, unless the authenticator keeps track of
     EAP Session-Ids, the authenticator cannot use the Session-Id to
     guarantee the freshness of EAP keying material."

To:

"  The EAP Session-Id, derived as described in Section 1.4, enables the EAP 
peer,
authenticator and server to distinguish EAP conversations.  However,
unless the authenticator keeps track of EAP Session-Ids, the
authenticator cannot use the Session-Id to guarantee the freshness
of EAP keying material."

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

Arhives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/eap