Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Proposed requirement: split responsibility

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 09:24:35 -0400

On May 24, 2005, at 8:51 AM, Brian Rosen wrote:

> So, South Main Street may route differently than South Main Avenue, 
> but we
> don't have anything that says all Streets route differently that all
> Avenues, and we don't have anything that says all "South" 
> predirectionals
> route differently than all "North" predirectionals.

I think, you are saying there is no hierarchy... at least at the street 
level.  I am arguing that there should not be a hierarchy.  Let me 
refine that, no hierarchy should be imposed.  Certainly there are many 
jurisdictions that have a hierarchy related to civic address fields, 
but I do not think they are the same hierarchy the world around.

-andy

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 09:36:12 -0400

Yes, I thing we are agreeing that at the street level, which includes street
name, pre and post directionals, and suffix, there is no hierarchy.

Similarly, there is no hierarchy for House Number and the House Number
Suffix, the Landmark Name, etc.

The only point in a hierarchy above that is to create some feasible
mechanism to distribute the database.  There are reasons to want to do that,
and hierarchy makes sense at the city/county/state/country level.

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andrew Newton [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:25 AM
> To: Brian Rosen
> Cc: [email-masked]; 'Ted Hardie'; 'Henning Schulzrinne'
> Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Proposed requirement: split responsibility
> 
>