Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Proposed requirement: split responsibility

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 07:52:46 -0400

On May 23, 2005, at 10:51 PM, Brian Rosen wrote:

> Mapping, at least today, always falls cleanly on a civil address field.

The mapping may break down cleanly, but the hierarchy of responsibility 
does not.  To say that all roads that end with "North" will go to one 
PSAP and all roads that end with "South" go to another PSAP and that 
there will be no exceptions seems to be a very broad assumption.  I 
live on a road with a "South" suffix.  My neighbors 2 blocks down have 
an address that looks just like mine with the exception of the street 
number.  But the county/city line is between us, and their 911 calls go 
to one place and mine go to another.

-andy

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 08:51:13 -0400

I'm not sure why you think that anyone proposes routing works the way you
are describing.  Perhaps you have some confusion on the part of the address
called "street".

There are a couple of components to "street": The pre-directional, the
street name, suffix and post directional.  Change any component, and you
(potentially) have a different street.  Routing can be different for a
different combination, but you take the combination as one component, not
the constituent parts.

So, South Main Street may route differently than South Main Avenue, but we
don't have anything that says all Streets route differently that all
Avenues, and we don't have anything that says all "South" predirectionals
route differently than all "North" predirectionals.

In my DNS proposal, the rewriting rule creates a single component from the
combination.  So "123.S~Main#ST$NW.washington.~.dc.us.sos.arpa".
Note that DC doesn't use counties, and there is no period in "S~Main#ST$NW".
Using IRIS, you wouldn't need a rewriting rule, but the routing could be
different for S Main ST and S Main AV when encoded in XML.  Of course it
could also be different for 100 S Main ST and 101 S Main ST.

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andrew Newton [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 7:53 AM
> To: Brian Rosen
> Cc: [email-masked]; 'Ted Hardie'; 'Henning Schulzrinne'
> Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Proposed requirement: split responsibility
> 
>